Favorite Holiday Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprichman

Reaction score
What's your favorite recipe to brew when the weather starts to cool and we enter the holiday season?

I made a pumpkin spiced ale at the end of the summer and it's probably been my favorite spiced beer this fall. I had some Pumpking and it just didn't taste as good to me.

The only thing with brewing is that you have to plan 3-6 months ahead of when you want to drink your winter warmer beer. So I got to start brewing my heavier beers in July.

I need to increase the size of my pipeline - right now my chest freezer doubles as a fermentation chamber and kegerator so I typically brew every 2 months (2 weeks fermentation, kegs typically last 5-6 weeks). My wife kicked our keg a couple nights ago so I'm gearing up to brew this weekend. We have some company coming for Christmas and I'd like to have something ready to drink by then.

I was thinking about brewing Northern Brewers Saison de Noel but I've read some mixed reviews and it sounds like it needs some age before it's ready.

I've got my Christmas Porter fermenting right now. Porter with chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg. One of my favorites.

Could you share the recipe?

Sure.

Couple of notes, this is the original recipe from Brewer's Friend. I have since added notes to my handwritten brew log from subsequent brews. This was one of my first BIAB recipes, so I had the efficiency a little low. Also, obviously this is a small batch recipe, so scale accordingly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Xmas Porter
Author: Rob.n.AZ

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Robust Porter
Boil Time: 65 min
Batch Size: 1.25 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 1.75 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.79%
IBU (tinseth): 35.11
SRM (morey): 24.71

FERMENTABLES:
2.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (80.6%)
0.25 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 90L (8.1%)
3.2 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (6.5%)
1.6 oz - American - Roasted Barley (3.2%)
0.8 oz - American - Chocolate (1.6%)

HOPS:
3 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 8.67
3 g - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 7.81
3 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 6.66
3 g - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 6
3 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 3.14
3 g - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 2.83

MASH GUIDELINES:
Temp: 155 F, Time: 65 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 tbsp - Cinnamon, Type: Spice, Use: Primary
0.5 tbsp - Nutmeg, Type: Spice, Use: Primary
0.5 oz - Baker's Dark Chocolate, Type: Flavor, Use: Primary
0.5 oz - Vanilla Extract, Type: Flavor, Use: Primary

YEAST:
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 77%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 57 - 70 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F

NOTES:
Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Chocolate, & Vanilla Extract are added to primary, after fermentation is complete 5 days prior to bottling.

I am in the midst of fermenting a red currant porter. Never made it before... But as I airlock sniff it... Man, does it ever smell good. I cannot wait to drink it. Don't know if I am going to bottle or keg it. Depends on when it is done. :D

Oh I also forgot I have an oaked oatmeal stout that should be carbed up and ready to tap for the winter.

I haven't really found a seasonal beer I absolutely love to brew yet. I am trying a chocolate porter this weekend with maple coffee added to the keg. We'll see where this goes!

Thanks for the replies everyone - I decided to make a variation of Grandmas Secret Stash - an oatmeal stout with rum soaked raisins in the boil and rum soaked vanilla bean and cinnamon added before kegging.

I'm soaking raisins in a 5 year old dark rum in preparation for tomorrow's brew day. :D

Back