Favorite columbus hop recipies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corycorycory09

Reaction score
I have a full pound of Columbus hops I've been meaning to use.

Can you recommend any recipes that use primarily Columbus?

I also have an ounce of chinook and centennial leftover.

Thanks!

Dark Horse Brewing from Marshall, MI makes a killer Black Ale that uses only Columbus. It's called Reserve Special Black Ale.

9.25lb 2row
1.15lb crystal77
1.15lb crystal 45
1.15lb chocolate
0.5lb roasted barley
0.25lb black patent

0.56oz columbus 90 min
0.44oz columbus 30 min
0.54oz columbus 0 min

nottingham yeast

I brew a hoppy stout that uses columbus and centennial. It's my favorite beer that I brew..I'm actually brewing it this weekend. I have an all grain recipe at home, but my extract version is listed on this forum. I screwed up the first time I brewed it and was supposed to get 1lb of Black Barley and accidentally got 1lb of Black Patent. Still turned out really good.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=491367

Dark Horse Brewing from Marshall, MI makes a killer Black Ale that uses only Columbus. It's called Reserve Special Black Ale.

9.25lb 2row
1.15lb crystal77
1.15lb crystal 45
1.15lb chocolate
0.5lb roasted barley
0.25lb black patent

0.56oz columbus 90 min
0.44oz columbus 30 min
0.54oz columbus 0 min

nottingham yeast

Mr. Grimm have you made this before. At what temps do you mash at? sounds delicious.

Mr. Grimm have you made this before. At what temps do you mash at? sounds delicious.

I have not. It's on my list of upcoming brews. The only other info I found for it was a sac rest at 152 for 45 min and sparge at 168.

I have not. It's on my list of upcoming brews. The only other info I found for it was a sac rest at 152 for 45 min and sparge at 168.

I have another thread going on san Diego super yeast, I plan on brewing Saturday. Maybe I will try this recipe out with san Diego super yeast. I will mash at 152@ 60min. I will update the results.

Sorry to the OP for jacking your thread, but just had a ahaa moment.

Take any of the readily available two hearted ale clone recipes and sub the Columbus for the centennial. You will get an amazing brew.

Personally Columbus is my favorite IPA hop. It starts out very pungent, herbal and even some slight onion sometimes and then transforms into amazing citrus with a little age.

Latest posts

Back