Favorite 1 gal jug buys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Descender

Reaction score
What are your preferred places to get 1 gallon glass jugs? I see some people posting aj/cider pics that come in glass, but I've yet to search those out. In the past, I bought a couple of Carlo Rossi jugs of wine, which are as fun to empty as they are to fill back up. Also, what are the price differences between glass and plastic full of juice?

rhino farts and rocket fuel!

What are your preferred places to get 1 gallon glass jugs? I see some people posting aj/cider pics that come in glass, but I've yet to search those out. In the past, I bought a couple of Carlo Rossi jugs of wine, which are as fun to empty as they are to fill back up. Also, what are the price differences between glass and plastic full of juice?

Local recycling drop off point. I can't justify paying $6-$8 bucks for something that is usually available for free, especially if I need 5 or 6 of them. I don't use the lids, but a #38 growler lid (I've only used polyseals on them so far) fits nicely.

I go to a local winery and get 1 gallon jugs of a red table wine for 4 dollars if I buy 12 bottles at a time. So once a year I go and get wine, set it in the closet and always have a gallon in the fridge
I think that for 4 bucks a month I get a new bottle, enough wine for dinners and plenty of places to put my wines and ciders, plus I do not worry about chasing down bottles I give out when I give my wines away to friends.
I am the king of cheap ways to get things, it is the 1/5 size bottles I need to source the most, every one in my family saves their wine bottles for me, I bribe them, for every 6 bottles I give them a 1/5th of wine
the line at the door is kinda long when I announce that I have finished some Skeeter Pee, they love it, and it is very cheep to make.

I go to a local winery and get 1 gallon jugs of a red table wine for 4 dollars if I buy 12 bottles at a time. So once a year I go and get wine, set it in the closet and always have a gallon in the fridge
I think that for 4 bucks a month I get a new bottle, enough wine for dinners and plenty of places to put my wines and ciders, plus I do not worry about chasing down bottles I give out when I give my wines away to friends.
I am the king of cheap ways to get things, it is the 1/5 size bottles I need to source the most, every one in my family saves their wine bottles for me, I bribe them, for every 6 bottles I give them a 1/5th of wine
the line at the door is kinda long when I announce that I have finished some Skeeter Pee, they love it, and it is very cheep to make.

This I like. Will check with the recycle guys next time I take in cans

Whole Foods sells apple juice in 1 gallon carboys that work great as fermentors. What I do is I transfer a few cups out. Then I take 1/2 of it out to heat up and mix with honey. Put it back in with yeast and get a cyser going.

Back