5% to 6% ABV sparkling wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I really like dry sparkling apple cider; I make it with storebought apple juice from Aldi, Costco, or Walmart, and just a tiny bit of sugar. But there's a shortage right now of apple juice. It totally disappeared for a few months, now it's back but sometimes hard to find and over $5 per gallon (used to vary between $2.30 and $3.20) That's about the same price as grape juice now. I make decent Concord grape or Concord/Niagara blend wine, but I want something closer to the cider that I like. So I'm trying an experiment.

I bought a 3 quart bottle of grape juice at Walmart and poured it into a sanitized 1 gallon jug. Added the dregs from a yeasty bottle of cider that was made with wine yeast (I got a clean pour and had lots of sediment left.) Instead of adding sugar to boost the ABV, I added about a pint of water. And 3/4 tsp of yeast nutrient. Shook it up and added an air lock. When the fermentation slowed down, I topped up the jug with water the rest of the way. That was about a week ago. It's probably ready to bottle but I think I'll give it another week or two There's not a lot of lees but I will rack it tomorrow anyway, mainly because it's in a lightweight plastic jug and it's much easier to bottle from a heavy glass jug. (this plastic jug has tipped over before when I tried to bottle from it and was down to the last little bit) I'll put it in clear Newcastle beer bottles and prime with sugar like I would cider.

Has anyone else here tried something like this?

OP
OP
z-bob

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled it yesterday. Six 12 oz bottles and 3 half-liters, and there wasn't enough left for me to get a real taste of it. :( But there was enough for a sip. I think it's going to be good. Kinda like a dry wine cooler. I put it in clear bottles so I can admire the color (much better when it's backlit)
1645378453270.png

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds different. I'm not sure it would be my thing, but I guarantee it would be a thousand times better than the new seltzers that are out now. I'm a fan of that color though.

What were your gravity readings?

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've made some based on EdWort's Apfelwein, but without any added sugar. Just store-bought juice, yeast, and some yeast nutrient. I bottle carb to around 2.8-3 volumes. Comes out ~6% ABV and is tasty. I've had good luck with S-04 yeast, it leaves a bit of sweetness and FG is around 1.004.

Recently made one with about 50/50 apple juice and black cherry juice from Aldi.

PCABrewing

Recreational Brewer
Reaction score
..But there's a shortage right now of apple juice. It totally disappeared for a few months, now it's back but sometimes hard to find and over $5 per gallon (used to vary between $2.30 and $3.20)

That's ironic because my two trees and some others I know of over-produced last season.
I was giving apples away for two months and still had too many.
Squirrels loved it though!

For Grape Juice I was tempted to try the 100% juice that Costco sells. It claims to be all juice and nothing else.

OP
OP
z-bob

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That's ironic because my two trees and some others I know of over-produced last season.
I was giving apples away for two months and still had too many.
Squirrels loved it though!

For Grape Juice I was tempted to try the 100% juice that Costco sells. It claims to be all juice and nothing else.

I have made wine with Costco grape juice and Aldi grape juice several times. My best batch was with 5 bottles of purple grape juice (Concord) and 3 bottles of white grape (Niagara.) I had to add a little sugar to get it to 11.5% ABV, and I fermented with BV7 wine yeast. When the yeast dropped out it took a lot of the color with it, leaving a very nice rose'.

We're having a severe drought in the US upper midwest, which probably hurt the apple crop. And we import a *lot* of apple juice from China and I think South America. It's probably all sitting in ports along the west coast, spoiling. :(

OP
OP
z-bob

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm drinking one now. (low ABV dry sparkling red wine made with diluted Concord juice) It's not bad, but it's not great either. It is refreshing, but a bit puckery -- perhaps from tannin. I'll probably make it again, but not very often. I think it'll be good in the summer. It could use just a bit of sweetening.