Faulty Bottlecaps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
Did a search, but couldn't find much. I bottled a Belgian Dark Strong Ale about 8 months ago, and half the bottles carbonated fine, the other half are flat. This is probably due to some bad bottle caps, or is it something else? I can't think what else it would be, as all of the beer was bottled from the same bucket, but some carbonated and others didn't. Any thoughts.

Could be the capper or a user error too. What kind of capper did you use? Do the caps look normal on the underside where the rubber seal is?

This can happen if your priming sugar doesn't completely mix with the beer in your bottling bucket. The heavy sugar water sinks to the bottom so most of it goes into the first bottles and less of it goes into the rest.

User error is a definite possibility. The unmixed sugar thing is pretty likely. I don't remember mixing it that well. Edwort, I used the two handle capper that comes with basic kits. The bottle caps looked just like the ones on the good bottles. I think I didn't mix the sugar properly.

Check the clamps on your capper...could be the gripping action of the clamps on the neck bottles and the downward pressure you used to crimp them.

Come to think of it, check the size of the lip on the bottle neck. If they are too thick then the caps were probably not on tight enough.

What I'm talking about is the ring at the top of the bottle where the caps adhere to.

Capper-0.jpg

i vote capper also. I have to be extra carful to check the seals when using any tyoe of odd bottles. I have also carbonted in threaded bottles and although i havent had issue, many others have.

It's not a cap or capper problem. Capping is very reliable and problems are rare. It's most likely due to not mixing the priming sugar into the beer uniformly. I like to put the priming sugar solution into the bottling bucket before racking the beer onto it. I also give the beer a thorough, but gentle stirring before bottling. My bottled beers are carbed more or less uniformly. Close enough that I can't detect any variations. I boil the corn sugar in a pint or so of water and pour it into the bottling bucket while still hot. No need to allow it to cool first.

Back