Fatal Mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XCWill

Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed a Douple IPA mini-mash kit. I realized when I tried to rack to secondary that I had made a mistake by not filtering the hops out of it when it went into primary. Generally, I do my primary in a bottling bucket, then use the spigot near the bottom to rack into secondary. This time, as a result of all the hop material in the bucket, the spigot was completely clogged. I tried to use my racking cane to siphon it out, but it was almost immediately clogged as well. In the end, I had to pour it directly into a glass carboy(which my beer certainly did not appreciate). I guess my question is which part of this fiasco can I attribute the ruination of my beer to :mad:

Ahh just give it more time to settle out. If you mean you poured everything, yeast cake and all, you may want to let it settle for a week and then re-rack. If you're not too concerned with clarity just give it 2-3 weeks in the "secondary" and bottle like normal. Just use a toothpick to clean the hop flakes after having a tasty brew.

If you mean you poured everything, yeast cake and all, you may want to let it settle for a week and then re-rack.

Thankfully, that is a mistake I knew to avoid. The whole time during primary, I kept thinking that it smelled somewhat like lactobacillus, but could never quite make up my mind. Guess it was all those hops :drunk:

If you had your siphon tube suspended above the yeast cake and moved it down as the liquid level went down you probably could have transferred just fine.

Quick update: Bottled the beer yesterday, and it smelled wonderful...perhaps it will be one of those un-repeatable beers that keeps people coming back for more=)
Primary for one week, secondary for three weeks, bottled last night.

Your problem is something I would not worry too much about. Its in the bottles and it will taste just fine. As AnOldUR has said oxidation does not produce off flavors right away, so if you are going to have issues it will be with the last few bottles, not the majority of your batch.

Good excuse to drink in large quantities and often. ;)

If oxidation is a problem it will creep up over time.

Generally my beer never gets much time to sit around =) Plus I use the Oxy-absorbent caps, so hopefully that will help as well. Thanks to tall for the input. BTW, I have an auto-siphon on the way.:tank:

Back