Fat Tire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops, Tx

Reaction score
Anyone else have problems with Fat Tire bottles? Just tasted my second batch, and did some experimenting, and the Fat Tire bottles are not done, and all the rest of them are....anyone else have this problem????

Got to go...working on cooling a wort. :D

Hmm strange . . . Did they not carbonate? I don't recal ever having an issue with Fat Tire bottles. What sort of capper are you using? Are you priming the whole batch at once, or adding sugar to individual bottles?

We primed the whole batch at once...pretty sure they were "crown caps". We tried a Sam Adams bottle...it worked out fine. We tried a Bass bottle...it worked out fine. And lastly, we tried a generic brown bottle that came with our kit...it worked out fine. The only difference we could see was that the yeast did not stick to the bottom of the Fat Tire bottles like it did with the rest of them.

Look at the top of the bottle, there are two lips; the top that the cap goes around and the second below. I had issues with one type of bottle where the 2nd lip was closer to the top than other bottles (compare to your generic browns). The capper couldn't grip quite right to give it a nice seal. Can't remember the orginal beer mfg but I tossed them all in the recycler...

I’ll bite. What are fat tire bottles? Still learning all the brewing slang.

desertBrew said:
Look at the top of the bottle, there are two lips; the top that the cap goes around and the second below. I had issues with one type of bottle where the 2nd lip was closer to the top than other bottles (compare to your generic browns). The capper couldn't grip quite right to give it a nice seal. Can't remember the orginal beer mfg but I tossed them all in the recycler...
I had this problem with guinesss/harp bottles. My red capper would slip right off of them if I wasn't super careful. I try to avoid those bottles now.

lostintexas said:
i prefer the blue paddle my self.
Good stuff, indeed. Have you tried the Bier de Mars or what ever they call their Marzen brew? It is a bit amber collored, somewhat cloudy like it could be a Hefe type brew, nicely hoppy. I enjoyed it, definitely better than Fat Tire!

Correction: It wasn't Fat Tire bottles...it was Paulaner Oktoberfest bottles. Everyone be careful out there....don't waste your brew :mad:

Back