Fat Tire Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trogdor447

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know i brought this up before, but does anyone have a clone recipe/kit that is remotely close to the actual beer? going to give it a go when I get a chance.

Hmmm, I'd suggest searching the web, assumed you already did? If not have you heard of Odell Brewing? They are also from the city of Fort Collins CO and are a very good brewery(I like them more then New Belgium). They have a very good ale called 90 Schilling on the web that has a clone you can brew. So I guess if no luck try that!

Cheers!

Well yea i've done some browsing around, I've personally only had 1 Fat Tire myself. SWMBO's father loves fat tire and they dont sell it around here. So I am trying to find a decent clone. A lot of people say they taste like garbge or are absolutely NOTHING like the original LOL

Well yea i've done some browsing around, I've personally only had 1 Fat Tire myself. SWMBO's father loves fat tire and they dont sell it around here. So I am trying to find a decent clone. A lot of people say they taste like garbge or are absolutely NOTHING like the original LOL

Email the brewery and see if they will tell you the recipe or at least the ingredients

I've been happy with Northern Brewer's clone. It's not a perfect 1:1 match, but it is a solid and enjoyable example of the style, which is pretty unique in and of itself: an American Red Ale fermented with a Belgian Yeast. I made it using a decoction, which at least in my imagination added caramelization and got it closer to the real thing.

I think there is a Fat Tire clone recipe in BYO magazine. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Here is the 5 gal AG recipe from BYO (Dec 2010). If you need extract, I can provide that. I'm not sure how close it is....but a recipe none the less.

8lb 10oz pale malt
1 lb Munich malt
6 oz Victory malt
8 oz crystal malt (80L)
0.4oz of 11%AA Target hops - 60 minutes
0.5oz of 5%AA Willamette hops - 10 minutes
0.5oz of Goldings hops (0 minutes)
Wyeast 1792, Wyeast 1272, or White Labs WLP051

Mash at 154 degrees.

Boil 90 minutes

OG = 1.050
FG = 1.013
IBU = 19
SRM = 14

This is our ski season brew!! See below for the one I just used (I think it is adapted from BYO). 5.5 gallon batch. I have made it twice, once with the hops below and once with all liberty. The liberty was better, IMHO. I would suggest modify it to remove the caramel 40 and maybe even the biscuit.

Also, the yeast is wrong, even though it makes for a tasty beer. New Belgium probably has a proprietary strain, but maybe Ardennes at colder temps would be better? I don't get a huge Belgian influence on contemporary productions of fat tire, but it definitely isn't English.

My research showed that they are tight-lipped with this recipe, so I doubt you'll get it with an email. If you do, please share :)

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
8.00 ozs 3.92 % Briess 2-Row Caramel 20L 60 mins 1.034
8.00 ozs 3.92 % Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 60 mins 1.034
8.00 ozs 3.92 % Briess 6-Row Carapils 60 mins 1.034
8.00 ozs 3.92 % Briess Munich 10L 60 mins 1.035
8.00 ozs 3.92 % Biscuit Malt 60 mins 1.036
4.00 ozs 1.96 % Briess 6-Row Chocolate 60 mins 1.034
10.00 lbs 78.43 % Rahr 2-Row 60 mins 1.035

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 17.24 Williamette 60 mins 4.90
0.50 ozs 3.67 Fuggles 15 mins 4.20
0.50 ozs 1.47 Fuggles 5 mins 4.20

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1 vials British ale (007) White Labs 007

Well my request to them was if they could suggest a clone that is reasonable and close to the original. We all know they've tried the clones etc etc. I've personally only ever had 1 Fat Tire, and that was the girlfriends dad letting me have one of his last 2. He absolutely is a fan of this beer.

Sheesh this semester has got me so busy I cant provide updates.. LOL So my own recipe turned out to be a bit more citrusy than I had hoped for. Going to see what can be done on the next go round adjusting the hops, likely not putting as much on flame out - flavor profile was good.

Back