Fast non-inline water filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got a late start to my brew day today, have plans this evening, and my Britta water filter is taking forever. I started filtering my water at 9 AM, it's 12:30 now, and I still have a couple gallons to go. Suffice it to say, I'm going to have to postpone my brew day.

The hip, trendy people who designed my hip, trendy apartment went with designer faucets, and I don't have an outdoor water source, meaning there's no way for me to hook up any kind of filter (or chiller, or any other water-powered device).

So, are there any fast non-inline water filters out there, or am I just going to have to buy or filter my water the night before? And before you ask, yes, my tap water NEEDS filtering -- I won't drink from the tap because it's pretty gross. The Britta really helps.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a washer and dryer? There will be a hose bib for the washer. You can buy a tee to screw on and hook the washer back up along with a garden hose.

Back when I used my Brita for filtering i would start a couple days before. For one brew I bought gallon jugs of water for what I needed, then after that I'd slowly refill the gallon jugs from the Brita pitcher. That way I could start a few days before, filling a jug here and there and setting them aside until brew day.

Water filters can be hooked up under the sink at the angle stop. Doesn't require a lot of plumbing skills.

Yup, intercept the water at the lines under the sink if you dare. Honestly, if the tap water tastes weird, you will benefit from buying 5 gallons of Distilled water from Walmart or RO from a machine. However, given the price of proprietary Britta filter packs, putting a large, standard inline charcoal filter under the sink between the hard lines and the fancy faucet would be worthwhile if you expect to stay there a while.

I was in a similar position with the brita taking forever. There's a diy project on the BYO website that solves this problem for about $15 in parts. Google "byo water filter". Filtered water from the kitchen sink at 2.5 gallons per minute!

Before I moved into my current house, I had a couple 3 or 5 gallons jugs i would haul off to the RO water machines in front of the grocery store. For less than $5 I could get 11 gallons of RO water.

there is no such thing as "fast" filtering without any type of added pressure (gravity only, which is what a britta is).

if you can figure out any way to hook into your water supply, you can buy a charcoal canister filter on amazon for about $20, plus two hose barbs and some hose, and you will then be able to filter 10 gallons in a few minutes.

Thanks for all the replies. I actually made the BYO a few years ago and love it, but like I said, my current faucets are designer faucets that can't take a hose adapter. I do like the idea of putting a filter under the sink. Honestly I don't mind buying bottled water: it's pre-measured, tastes good, and is pretty cheap, though not as cheap as getting it from the tap.

For my brew today I bought my water. Needed 8 gallons, paid less than $8. Not bad.

Here's what my faucet looks like:
faucet1.jpg

I might be able to remove the ring around the aerator and install a hose adapter, but I doubt it. My bathroom faucets are very similar, minus the sprayers.

Disconnect the handle from the hose and use the appropriate fitting (nipple) to hook into a filter.

Latest posts

Back