Farmhouse/Saison not coming along well...any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICWiener

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Brewed a partial mash farmhouse/saison with rye about 6 or 7 weeks ago. Used 3724 and pushed the temp up gradually from 72 to 84 degrees. It's currently sitting at ambient (around 76), finishing up. Gravity started at 1.066 and is down to about 1.012 or so. It should be done in another few weeks. The problem is that per Wyeast, the strain should be "spicy with complex aromatics, including bubble gum. It is very tart and dry on the palate with a mild fruitiness. Expect a crisp, mildly acidic finish..." All I'm getting is just a ton of banana and clove flavors...which I hate.

If I let this finish out and bottle it as is, it will sit for years. I'm not going to drink it. I was thinking about dry hopping, but I'm not sure if the flavors will clash. Any suggestions, or is it too late to do anything?

I've pushed this yeast up to the mid-80's and I don't pick up on any dominating banana or clove in any of my Saisons that use it. Did you use a starter?

I've pushed this yeast up to the mid-80's and I don't pick up on any dominating banana or clove in any of my Saisons that use it. Did you use a starter?

I thought it was odd too. After everything I've read about 3724, I thought I was good to go.

I did make a starter. It was a flaccid smackpack. Didn't really inflate so I went with 1000 ml for 24 hrs. Chilled, stepped up to 2000ml for another 24. Chilled, decanted, and pitched.

Maybe it's the starting @ 72F? I like to drop in around 68 then ramp things up. Then again, I've only used wlp565 & Wy3711, so I can't speak to 3724 specifically.

Off the cuff, though, it almost sounds like you pitched a Hefe yeast rather than Farmhouse/Saison...:drunk:

Off the cuff, though, it almost sounds like you pitched a Hefe yeast rather than Farmhouse/Saison...

That's what it tastes like. And that's why I'm bummed.

Maybe I'll just dry hop the hell out of it. See what happens.

I've had lots of banana with 3724 when I pitched into wort too warm. Like Piratwolf said, start closer to mid-60's for 2-3 days THEN ramp up slowly to mid-80's. It may be a little too late for your current batch. Don't give up! Try again.

I've had trouble getting this strain to ferment below 80, so I been using the french saison strain, and had good luck.

no_borders said:
I've had trouble getting this strain to ferment below 80, so I been using the french saison strain, and had good luck.

Oh, do I love 3711!

What about fruit? I've got a big jar of cherry concentrate...could transfer to secondary and throw it in. Then again, not sure if that would make the flavors clash.

I just bottled a batch of Saison with 3711, fermented between 80 and 85 for about 8 weeks, tastes delicious at bottling.

Update on this one. I let it ride. It sat in the corner for another month or so. I took it out of my fermenter to make room for other beers (beers that wouldn't appreciate an 85 degree home), so it sat at ambient (70-82 degrees). Probably would have benefited from staying at elevated temps, but I couldn't hold up the pipeline. FG after more than 2 months in primary: 1.010. I was hoping to shave off another 4 points or so, but it didn't budge for the last few weeks, so I figured that was dry enough to bottle. The extra time and few extra gravity points did seem to mellow out the banana and clove esters. It's still fairly sweet and has a lot of wild flavor going on, so I'm hoping a month in the bottle will continue to bring it around.

Update on my last batch: Excellent flavor with a definite funkiness to it. There is a dryness to it that, with the first drink, made me think "this is pretty dry, is it too dry?" but after a couple of more drinks it was thoroughly enjoyable and drinkable beer. I've had excellent response from the few people I've been generous enough to share with.

Back