Family friend saw my 10gal keg system, wants...Bigger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loldmopar

Reaction score
So a family friend saw my 10 gal, 3 burner, keg brewing system (soon to be converted to electric brewing) and said he wanted me to build him something similar. Well I contacted him today to talk about some other projects at his ranch he wanted help with and asked about building the homebrewery while I was out there. He listed off a bunch of projects and then said that he has all the necessary tools to build a brewing system. Than the kicker, he has 3x300 Gallon stainless dairy tanks he wants to use. I have no idea what I'm going to build now. I'm thinking its going to have to be all electric for sure. But since I'm just starting to piece together some parts to convert my system to electric, I really have no idea what I'm going to need for a 9bbl? system. So help me out. I'm not going to be doing this for a while so I have some time to do some reading on the subject. What resources do you guys think I should look into? Places to get parts? (figured I'd probably use Tri-clover (what size?) like the breweries) Anything to give me some footing on how I'm going to go about this. I have some ideas but figured I'd get some help from guys who know more than I do about this sort of thing.

Help me please?:confused:

Thanks in advance!

Also read that DFH used 300?Gal dairy tanks for their first larger than keg system brewery. going to look into that.

That's a massive system. My question would be what is he going to do with all that beer. I know there are some really knowledgable brewers here but for a system that big you may have better luck at pro brewer. Sorry no direct help. Good luck.

Tell him to just sell the dairy tanks to someone who will use them. THere is a decent market right now (in the Northeast anyway) for functional Dairy equipment. He could get enough to build himself a decent homebrew setup. But it depends on the intent.

Hi

All electric sounds neat, farms aren't exactly shy on electric power in most cases. However 300 gallons at a time will use a *lot* of electricity. I doubt he has enough "extra" (farm still has to run while he's brewing) to run that big a setup.

Then he's going to need some 300 gallon conical fermenters (electric cooled of course) and ....

Bob

Help me please?:confused:

Advise him to seek out someone that does this regularly or has experience doing so. Not a slight on you, but that is a very large operation that soinds like is over your head at the moment. Just because an opportunity arises for you it does not mean you should take it. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Hi

As mentioned earlier, for that much volume of production - he'll need help with the ATF forms and likely state stuff as well. If he's running a dairy already it's not any nuttier than what he's doing now. It is different forms and different folks though.

Bob

Back