False bottom questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamorgen

Reaction score
Good morning all,
Just joined the forum, and this is my first post. I've been brewing for a little over a year now, and I've done several LME and kit brews, and one all grain brew (still fermenting). I started off brewing by buying my own kettle Update International SPS-40, drilling the holes for a valve and thermometer, and I've been brewing with that setup from day one. When I built it, I bought a bazooka type filter. In theory, I liked the idea. Seemed simple. In practice, it sucks. Even just LME brewing, hops instantly clog the filter, which makes me scrape off the hops and attempt to drain it low enough, so I can tip the pot, reach in, unscrew it, and drain. It's more or less worthless.

So I was talking to my local brew shop about this the other day, and they recommended a false bottom. From what I recall from doing my research before buying that particular kettle, it's the same kettle as Polar Ware's BrewRite line, minus their additions (thermometer, valve). I'm not mashing in my brew kettle, so this may be overkill. I'm mashing in a 10 gallon Igloo cooler, which came with a domed false bottom.

Still being somewhat of a newb, are there circumstances where I may still be mashing in the kettle and not using the cooler?

So, that being said, what will work better for me? I know the domed ones are a little more universal, but I also know that Polar Ware makes a false bottom for their 40 qt BrewRite kettle that should fit. The big variable may be the height of the valve.

Thanks for any advise in advance.

My question for you: why do you feel you need either of those options? Most folks around HBT tend to do quite well with nothing but a dip tube in their BK. Letting the hops trub get into your fermenter is unlikely to do anything (there have been published studies, including a couple exBEERiments, that show no perceivable difference from filtering hops out of the fermenter) and there's indications that at least a little bit of break material from the kettle is actually a GOOD thing for yeast health.

I've retired my kettle bazooka filter (got in the way of the IC) and also retired my homemade hop spider (ummm... got in the way of my IC. huh.)

I ended up ordering a bulk of 5 gallon paint strainers from Amazon (about $1 a piece):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P83H9Q2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

what I do now is soak a paint strainer in sanitizer, then place it in my fermenter (elastic strap at the top of the paint strainer keeps it in place). then I just dump the whole batch of chilled wort (hop residue, break material, the works) into the fermenter, then lift out the paint strainer and toss it in the trash. Effectively does the same thing with MUCH less fuss and bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have quite a few choices for hop trub. False bottom is one. I don't believe many people here use one for the boil kettle.

I use a Hop Screen which is stainless steel mesh and wire. It works pretty good. Basically, a very large bazooka tube.

I've been eyeballing a hop screen but don't want to pay for one. They can be pricey depending on the size. The only issue that gets talked about here is hops utilization. I think the general consensus is there maybe a small drop in utilization but nothing to worry about.

Bazooka screen which you have tried...IHO they are just to small and clog to fast.

Blichmann hop blocker I've heard good things about but never owned one.

I'd run a search here. There are a ton of ideas some you can DIY if your handy.

Thanks guys. I think I'll combine your advise and see how it works on my next brew. Bazzoka filter will come out, and I'll get a dip tube for my pot, and then I can filter into the fermentor. $1 a filter is a cheap test, compared to a $100 false bottom. I may also try not filtering at some point, see if I notice a difference.

I use a paint strainer bag, clipped to the lip of my kettle to contain the hop debris. At each hop addition I open the top of the bag and dump in the hops, swirl it a little then clip it up. After the brew has chilled I put the bag in a sanitized colander to drain, I squeeze it a little.

I then drain everything into my fermenter. There is not much debris. I have no strainer on the valve and I do no other straining.

Just ditch the bazooka tube.....

Latest posts

Back