False bottom gap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
Just fitted my new false bottom in my new kettle there is a little gap do you think it is acceptable?

IMG_5029.jpg

If it bugs you, you could get some vinyl line and slice it down the center and then fit around the edge. It might fit tight, but there won’t be a gap. If not, just don’t go full bore when you drain the wort. Open valve slow. Even with that gap you might get a few grains here and there and wouldn’t cause an issue.

That's what the vorlauf is for. If you want to get fancy, jam some toothpicks in the gap in about four locations to ensure that it's sitting centered. That way the gap is as small as it can be all the way around.

Thats what a figured i think if it was any tighter I wouldn’t be able to get it in. I have herms system so we will see how it goes, first time using a false bottom

Finally was able to brew on it had no issues actually hit 93% efficiency I was afraid of getting it stuck so mashed pretty thin and recirculated slower than normal. Thing that sucks is a dropped the false bottom and one side of the handle came off as well as one side of a leg but it still sat flat

Another thing to mention is that I have it in a 20 gallon concord kettle and had to scrub the heck out of it with bar keepers friend because of rust spots the went away and haven’t came back but that was disappointing

Back