false bottom advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemonkey

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my setup to 10 gallons (eventually to include HERMS) and I'm ready to put my MLT together. I'm trying to decide what thickness of expanded metal to use for a false bottom (70 quart Coleman Xtreme cooler), and hole size/spacing.

BTW, I think I'm going to go with aluminum for my false bottom. **covers ears to ignore screams of the anti-aluminum crowd** It's about 1/3 the price of stainless, which in this case works out to about $20 vs $65-70.

I was wondering if 1/16 thick would be sufficient? I'm also not sure what hole size and spacing to use. I'm looking at http://www.onlinemetals.com/ and they have a pretty good selection.

It's probably thick enough. Palmer recommends 1/8" holes spaced at 1/4". That's a lot of holes, no way would I try to do one in stainless.

Luckily, online metals sells perforated sheet, so I won't have to drill them myself. You can also have them cut it to the size you want.

I didn't look at the site earlier, but you've got me thinking about one for the igloo.

Latest posts

Back