Fall beer styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzelina

Reaction score
So, I volunteered to make a couple batches of beer for a clambake in October. I have a milk stout in the fermenter. I need one so I am looking for fall style suggestions, but an easy drinker for the BCM folks, and one that can be quick to the keg, a little behind on my schedule. Thanks n advance for the in put. P.S. an Irish red is out someone else is doing that one.

My favorite fall beers would be Oktoberfest, porter, scotch ale, and American brown. I've started becoming partial to dunkelweizen as well.

It's all personal taste, but in general I prefer the shift to malty beers- in preparation for stout season

Brown ale, Oktoberfest/marzen, porter, hard cider, esb or amber ale, pumpkin ale.

Love those fall beers!

So, I volunteered to make a couple batches of beer for a clambake in October. I have a milk stout in the fermenter. I need one so I am looking for fall style suggestions, but an easy drinker for the BCM folks, and one that can be quick to the keg, a little behind on my schedule. Thanks n advance for the in put. P.S. an Irish red is out someone else is doing that one.

I was going to say Irish red. How about an amber? If you have a stout and a red, maybe something a little more hoppy?

Of course, if it's hot out, then a blonde would be good. I did a blonde that was only late hops, and it turned out good.

Brown ale, Oktoberfest/marzen, porter, hard cider, esb or amber ale, pumpkin ale.

Love those fall beers!

Cider would be perfect, and you probably have just enough time.

I think the Morebeer ESB-E/SG kit has a great balance of malts & bittering/hop flavor for the average beer drinker. I agree with the blonde as well. Or the Saison de ete' kit from NB would be a good lighter choice as well. An American brown like a Rouge Dead Guy would be a good fall beer. Pale ales could be another good one. They've got that sort of color too & with hops that lean away from citrus & more fruity might be good.

Clambake, eh? There was just an article on the front page about beer pairings with seafood. Might want to check some of those styles out regardless of whether they are autumn-y beers.

Belgian dubbel or golden strong.
Gonna add witbier too. Thinking of things better on the non-cold side.

I made a pumpkin dubbel last year, but I think it needed to age to get good.

Many thanks. Time is short so i need needed something quick I have made a nice wit, but it takes about 3 weeks after keg/bottle to really get finished, I saw a Munich Helles that looked promising as well, although I really can't lager. I do like the suggestions. Fodder for future brews.

Try California lager yeast. Doesn't need to be nearly as cool and still produces a malty profile. I've never had diacytl problems either

My basement "fermentation room" basement, only gets down to 67 68 during the summer. If memory serves me mashing at lower temps. 149 152 will give me a maltier profile.

Back