Facing an EdWort conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InkPouchMan

Reaction score
I just went to an LHBS and got the ingredients for my first AG: EdWort's Haus PA (plus an extra ounce of Cascade, in case I get slightly creative... otherwise it's good to have in these tough times).

I also bought some Montrachet and yeast nutrient for Ed's equally-rave-reviewed Apfelwein (already have some corn sugar, need apple juice).

Problem is, I've only got two carboys, one of which will be full for a month around the time I brew the Haus (last batch was 1.082). The Apfelwein will take a month as well. So the question is: brew the Apfelwein and forego secondary for the Haus, or hold off on the Apfelwein?

Decisions, decisions...

Forego the secondary on the Haus Pale Ale. I believe Ed crash cools in the primary and kegs.

InkPouchMan said:
I don't keg.... will crash cooling kill the yeast? (On that note, is Apfelwein even carbonated?)

No it won't hurt the yeast at all. Unless you cold crash for like 8 months. And I would just do that right in your primary.

You can carbonate apfelwein...if you read enough of the origional thread..you will end up figuring out that most people split a batch and do 1/2 still and 1/2 carbed.

And ya...you need to stash some cash to fund another (or several other) Carboys.

(yes, you will thank me later ;)

you'll probably need 6 weeks at least on the apfelwein. mine took 2 months at 65F

the first apfelwein batch i made was only lightly carbonated, and it tasted perfect.

yes, you need more carboys. Buy some buckets. I used nothing but glass for years, then a few months ago i started running out of space and carboys, so i went on a bucket buying spree. at $12 or so a pop, they're great. They work just as well for primaries, as long as you're not making a big beer that you have to leave in there for ages.

so, yeah, you have no excuse. buy more fermentation vessels ;)

I prefer my apfelwein very crisp in carbonation - sort of like sparkling wine or champagne.

I've done plenty of brewing with just a primary. So far, they've all been pretty good beers.

For now, brew more, and worry less about bulk conditioning. As money/space allows, expand your equipment until you're satisfied with the function and capacity of your brewery. If you're like most of us, that means you'll be spending a lot of time, money, and space on brewing...but is that really a bad thing?!

Okay, dirty little secret time: I've made 25 or 30 gallons of Apfelwein now, all of it in an old plastic Arrowhead water bottle! I didn't have a spare carboy when I made my first batch, and figured I was only risking a few bottles of juice. It came out great, and I've been using it ever since as a dedicated fermenter. I typically let it ferment for 5 weeks, but I lost track of the last batch...I believe it was a total of 8 weeks! There was absolutely no sign of oxidation or any other flavor issues...if anything, it's the best batch yet, incredibly clean.

So if you happen to have such a bottle around, or can grab one cheaply at Walmart or the like, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for Apfelwein.

2 solutions:
First the Pale Ale does not need a secondary. 3 week in a bucket or glass primary allows it to clear and condition nicely. I only secondary my big beers.

Second, I also recommend getting more fermenters. Plastic buckets are what i usually use. Most of my beers stay 3 weeks in the plastic bucket then right to the bottling bucket. Then you can use those glass carboys for the beers and wines that need them.

Craig

You guys are bad influences. :D

One problem with the Apfelwein: the only dextrose I have is in an opened and partially-used 4 pound bag. How can I use it without risk of contamination?

InkPouchMan said:
One problem with the Apfelwein: the only dextrose I have is in an opened and partially-used 4 pound bag. How can I use it without risk of contamination?

you could boil the dextrose in some water to sterilize. edit: too slow.

InkPouchMan said:
You guys are bad influences. :D

I buy all my dextrose in 1 lb. bags. Most LHBS don't provide any price break on larger bags, so why bother. It stays clean & fresh and it's pre-measured.

thanks for the tip, Ed... it's too late for this time, but I'll remember that the next time I need dextrose.

On a different note, I asked this in the Haus Ale thread, but it's only so active, so I hope it's not taboo to ask again here...

I've read great things about FWHing. Would it be wise/appropriate to use it for the Haus Ale? Or, for that matter, to use it in my first AG batch?

Thanks for all the help everyone. I just racked my last batch out of primary and I'm making preps for the AG. Wish me luck!

I decided to forego the FWH.

And I just had my first boilover! The AG hot break really is nasty. Good thing I waited before adding the hops.

BierMuncher said:
I find that first wort hopping reduces boilovers.
I have the same results with FWH. I think I got the idea from BierMuncher in another thread and tried it in EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. I haven't even had something that got close to boiling over since I started FWH! :rockin:

I'll be sure to try FWH sometime soon. Until then, I've put Ed's Ale in primary. Wound up with slightly less than 5 gallons, but hit the OG on the head. My mash was a bit on the thin side; I overshot the mash temp a bit, added cold water to compensate, undershot, then added hot water. The result was about 1.5qt/lb, but a spot-on temperature. I also learned a second lesson as to why I ought to get a wort chiller.

Anyhow, I'm sure it'll be great. Thanks for the recipe, Ed!

Latest posts

Back