BOMM Cider Attempt #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pontiac_Guy

Reaction score
Just a small post about my first attempt at a BOMM-style cider/apple wine.

I, like most of you, love Ed's apfelwein, but I have got to the point where I would rather let it sit for six months or more due to its "hoochiness". That's too long! So I read up on the BOMM. The acronym eludes me, but it's a staggered nutrient mead that is drinkable in a month or so.

So here goes: Ed's recipe except I'm using WLP545, and an approximated staggered nutrient addition of 1tsp yeast energizer and 2tsp yeast nutrient on pitch day, day 3, and day 5 (approx.). I shake to degas about 10-15 times a day. That's about it.

The scientific method is out the window with changing two variables. Oh well. I'll update how it was with the Belgian strong ale yeast in a bit. I'll attempt again with Montrachet and WLP500 soon enough.

The name doesn't fit, but I'll use it to point people to where I got the idea for the yeast + nutrient combo.

Bray's One Month Mead is all about the choice of yeast. It took months of trials with different yeasts before he dialed in on Wyeast 1388. If you're willing to do that for an Apfelwein then the community will be grateful.

The staggered nutrient schedule works for high gravity meads, but apfelwein is only about 8.5% ABV with OG of about 1.065. A single up front nutrient addition is all you need.

Back