ezRecipe Design - The Full Featured Beer Recipe Designer For Excel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ezRecipe Design for Microsoft Excel on Mac is now available for download and use.

Click Here To Download ezRecipe Design for both Mac or Windows!

ezRD.jpg

* Requires 32-bit version of Microsoft Excel 2010 or higher and 32 or 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows 7, 8 or 10 with 3GB minimum memory. *

** Requires 64-bit version of Microsoft Excel 2016 or higher and a 64-bit version of Mac OS with 3GB minimum memory. **

Last edited:
ezRecipe Design for Microsoft Excel on Mac is now available for download and use.

Click Here To Download ezRecipe Design for both Mac or Windows!

View attachment 621470

* Requires 32-bit version of Microsoft Excel 2010 or higher and 32 or 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows 7, 8 or 10 with 3GB minimum memory. *

** Requires 64-bit version of Microsoft Excel 2016 or higher and a 64-bit version of Mac OS with 3GB minimum memory. **

Am i missing something? Is there a way to handle metric input?

ezRecipe v2.02.01 is currently in testing now. This new release will add support for recipe design using either standard or metric measurements. Recipes can be toggled between standard and metric modes with a mouse click. And are backward compatible with recipes exported from the current v2.01.03 version.

ezSloop4.jpg

Just a short note on my recent use of this nifty program Screwy has offered to share with us.
I've used ezRecipe in tandom with Beersmith, Brun Water and EZWater for a few months and am really starting to feel comfy with it.

Yesterday I brewed a simple Pale Ale and using these same programs, the most accurate for me was ezRecipe. A projected 5.39 ph came in at 5.34. Brun Water projected 5.16, Beersmith 5.49 and EZWater 5.48. Usually ezRecipe and Brun Water are the most accurate for me so as I go forward, I'll continue to try just those 2 but I feel confident in using this software now knowing I've had quite good luck with it.

Screwy, thank you for your time putting this together and for sharing it with your fellow homebrewers.

Thank you @Beer-lord and congratulations on a successful brew day. As the new kid on the block I'm always happy to hear that ezRecipe held it's own with the big dogs.

Next month's release will include the option to select a default type of Anhydrous calcium chloride, in addition to the current Dihydrate type. Being able to select the Anhydrous type of calcium chloride should close the pH prediction gap even more.

You also can expect improvements in the Hop Storage Index [HSI] and IBU calculations in this next release. Including a new feature that let's you switch recipes between metric and standard measurements and back again on the fly.

To date ezRecipe Design has over 300 downloads since it's initial release on April 5, 2019. And thanks to the feedback I receive from experienced brewers like yourself it continues to improve with each release.

After creating two different recipes using ezRecipe Design 2.02.01 and verifying the actual brewing results for accuracy I believe testing is done now. Work has begun to prepare the ezHOMEBREWING website to reflect the enhancements included in this latest release.

Remember recipes created in previous versions of ezRecipe can be exported as BeerXML and then imported directly into ezRecipe Design 2.02.01. Once imported the recipes can then be saved as part of the Excel file.

The Setup sheet includes an option that changes recipe measurements from standard to metric and back again, in real time, with a single mouse click. I expect to have everything ready to go by the end of this month.

For those of us who chase mash pH this recipe measured 5.37 pH at [77F/25C] thirty minutes into the mash.

hds-1.jpg
hds-2.jpg

Last edited:
ezRecipe Design 2.02.01 for Excel is now available for download. The following lists some of the features and improvements included in this release.
  • Real time recipe conversion between Standard and Metric units
  • Improved recipe calculation engine and integration
  • Enhanced recipe manager to select and save your favorite recipes
  • Import and export recipes in enhanced BeerXML format
  • Centralized setup of mash, brewhouse and recipe defaults
  • Expanded use of hover over notes document cell function
Included in this release are five recently brewed recipes and their predicted and actual brewday metrics.

Download ezRecipe Design 2.02.01 now and see for yourself.

Last edited:
This morning another reported issue has been resolved. The issue had to do with importing BeerXML recipes created in prior ezRecipe versions. You are encouraged to download this most recent release with a last saved date of 7/3/2019.

New to this release is the addition of a Print Recipe button on the ezRecipe sheet. I like using it to print hard copies of my recipes and then saving them in a binder. You will also find print buttons on the Order and Summary sheets as well. Printing all three will provide you with every detail of your recipe and brewing experience.

Thank you for reporting issues and helping to make ezRecipe better than ever.

Last edited:
Could you please make a feature that could take your desired water profile and show you the required amounts in grams of whatever combination of salts are required (EX: gypsum, calcium chloride, calcium carbonate, are required). The dimensional analysis from converting grams to mol to PPM based on batch size get really boring, lol, would be super cool to see that feature and save lots of time!

PS: Thank you for the cool software, much appreciated

Could you please make a feature that could take your desired water profile and show you the required amounts in grams of whatever combination of salts are required (EX: gypsum, calcium chloride, calcium carbonate, are required). The dimensional analysis from converting grams to mol to PPM based on batch size get really boring, lol, would be super cool to see that feature and save lots of time!

PS: Thank you for the cool software, much appreciated
@Bobby J thanks for your honest feedback. Admittedly your idea has come up several times now. This feature is in the works to be delivered it in the next release.

Yesterday morning an issue with ezRecipe Design was reported. A run-time error was triggered when switching between Lactic and Phosphorus acid on the ezRecipe page. The issue has now been resolved. Users are advised download the August 11, 2019 build of ezRecipe Design version 2.02.02 if they have not already done so.

Remember to export your favorite recipes to BeerXML from your current version and then import them into this latest release. Click here to get the latest version of ezRecipe Design.

ezRecipe Design version 2.02.03 is now available.

Just in time for the Fall brewing season, this months update includes the following improvements:

• Enhanced support for importing and exporting BeerXML recipe files.
  • Expanded internal storage for saving recipe and brewing system information.
  • Improved single click standard to metric measurement conversion.
  • New feature to create PDF format documents of your recipes and brewing notes.
  • Additional performance, stability, and usability enhancements.
  • Five of my most often brewed recipes in metric and standard units of measure to get you started.

To Upgrade
  1. From your current version of ezRecipe export your favorite recipes as BeerXML files.
  2. Next download the current September 2, 2019 release of ezRecipe and save it to the location of the previous version.
  3. Open ezRecipe Design 2.02.03 to import the saved BeerXML files and save them to the new ezRecipe Design version.

Click here to get the latest version of ezRecipe Design.

Last edited:
I'm getting errors when using this spreadsheet with LibreOffice. Is it not compatible?
I've tried it both with macros enabled and disabled.

Error message when trying to change any cell:
BASIC syntax error.
Symbol Range already defined differently.

I'm getting errors when using this spreadsheet with LibreOffice. Is it not compatible?
I've tried it both with macros enabled and disabled.

Error message when trying to change any cell:
BASIC syntax error.
Symbol Range already defined differently.
I’m sure you are. It’s clearly stated that ezRecipe requires MS Excel for Windows or Mac OS.

Yesterday I brewed a Kolsch style beer using Avangard Pilsner and Briess Vienna malts. The recipe was created using the latest version of ezRecipe Design. Making this the sixth recipe complete with brewing results I've posted.

The grains were milled using a .030 roller gap about an hour before mash in. The predicted wort volumes and gravity measurements that were setup for my eBIAB system checked out. The brewing water profile was built from one hundred percent reverse osmosis water and supplemented with brewing salts and lactic acid. The wort sample was taken thirty minutes into the mash and cooled to 77F [25C] when measured it was 5.28 pH.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

On Saturday I brewed a Fir Tip Honey Amber Ale beer using Briess US 2-Row and Briess Crystal malt. The recipe was created using the current version of ezRecipe Design. Making this the seventh complete recipe and brewing results posted.

The grains were milled using a .030 roller gap about an hour before mash in. The predicted wort volumes and gravity measurements for my electric BIAB system checked out perfectly. The brewing water was built using all reverse osmosis water supplemented with the recipe's brewing salts and lactic acid additions. The wort sample was taken thirty minutes into the mash and cooled to 77F [25C] when measured it was 5.09 pH. This is the second time brewing this recipe and seeing nearly identical results in both batches.

ez_sprtip-1.jpg
ez_sprtip-1a.jpg
ez_sprtip-1b.jpg

@rkhanso ezRecipe has been tested on Excel 2010 or higher and Microsoft Windows 7, 8 or 10 with macros enabled.

And on Excel 2016 or higher and Mac OS with macros enabled.

As a chromebook user, I must ask, do you have any plans to covert this Excel sheet to a Google Sheet? Not sure this is even possible, but would be amazing if so.

As a chromebook user, I must ask, do you have any plans to covert this Excel sheet to a Google Sheet? Not sure this is even possible, but would be amazing if so.
@Homebrew Steve thank you for using ezRecipe. Macros supply much of the power that separates ezRecipe from all other brewing recipe spreadsheets. With that said, at the moment, Excel has the most robust macro language that I know and code in.

The best just keeps getting better! Just in time for the Holiday brewing season, my newest version delivers a vastly improved user experience! I highly recommend you stop using any and all prior versions of ezRecipe and upgrade to this newest ezRecipe 2.02.04 version today. Please read the following list of new enhancements and fixes included in this new release....
  • Complete recipe management redesign in version 2.02.04 delivers the most significant performance and stability enhancements ever.
  • Faster recipe loading and BeerXML import features are now free from distracting screen flicker.
  • Spreadsheet hang up and screen freeze, reported with some devices, are now eliminated completely.
  • On saving and exiting the currently displayed recipe is the recipe displayed the next time ezRecipe Design is opened.
  • ABV options to use a basic calculation for lower gravity beers or an advanced calculation for higher gravity beers.
  • Built-in support for importing BeerXML recipe files created in prior ezRecipe Design versions.
  • To help get you started three of my most recent recipes brewed in 2019 are included this release.
  • The combined enhancements in ezRecipe Design 2.02.04 are intended to provide you with the most enjoyable user experience possible.

setup-eztop.jpg

Thank you to all who have supported ezRecipe Design in 2019. You should have received your personalized ezRecipe Design 2.02.05 version in your inbox by now. Your donations help pay for some of the development and web hosting costs. And all your donations are very much appreciated.

The best keeps getting better! The free version of ezRecipe Design 2.02.05 is now available to download and use. Start off your 2020 brewing season using the list of features included in this release.
  • ezRecipe Design is a complete beer recipe design solution
  • Powerful enough to handle your most challenging recipes yet easy to learn and easy to use.
  • One-click conversion and support for both metric and standard units of measure.
  • Backward compatible with prior versions of ezRecipe Design recipes exported as BeerXML files.
  • Three of my most recently brewed recipes included to help get you started.

ezRecipe Design Online First Look:

Development continues to make progress towards a scheduled 2020 release date. The same ezRecipe Design form and functionality available as a cloud based application. Alpha version shown below.
ezr-web.jpg

Back