Extremely slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APBrewer

Reaction score
Hey all first outreach for me here looking for feedback.

On 1/14 brewed an 11 gallon batch of Rye IPA (tried to guess on the Ruthless Rye recipe). OG was 1.067. Split the batch into two 23L carboys. Yeast is WLP001 for both. 1 Carboy got my first ever crack at starter (1.5L) and the other got a single vial which has been our standard approach up to now. Used a standard airlock for both which has also been our approach. While we have had minor blow-off issues before this time things got nuts. Fermentation is happening in a closet we are trying to keep at around 64 or so. Carboys are inside of their original boxes to keep out light and add some insulation. After 18 hours the starter carboy was going off like Krakatoa. By 24 the other carboy with only the vial had joined in. We switched over to a blow-off tube and things seemed to calm somewhat.

Fast forward to yesterday we setup to dry hop and as we transferred the non-starter carboy the gravity came in at 1.040. Many curse words followed. When we moved on to the starter version I got 1.034. More curse words and some discussion ensued. In a mild panic I decided to split a handy vial (again WLP0001) and then for good measure I reserved about 2L of liquid from the second carboy and swirled it into a slurry with the trub and split that into the two secondaries as well.

So all that said, I am hoping for some perspective on my results and subsequent actions. Have brewed about 20 batches and 8 days has always been plenty. Wondering what may have caused this and if subsequent actions were A. Warranted B. Over-reaction C. Fruitless

Thanks in advance.

more info would help. was it extract? if not, what were the mash temps? how well did you aerate? also, how much krausen blew off? some yeast may have been lost in the blow off, but i've never had an issue with that.

All grain. Mashed at 150 in a cooler mash tun. Aerated like I always have, no infusion other than agitating the hell out of the carboy.

Yeast loss through blow-off was the only solution I could arrive at given that everything else is relatively consistent with prior process/experience. Yet I read what I could find here on blow-off and did not see any mention of it...

Why were you transferring to secondary before you ever took a gravity measurement?
Sounds like you rushed things and guessed it was done.

The problem with re-pitching is the yeast has to wake up in a bath of alcohol, and there's no oxygen for it to increase the colony size.

You need to get a starter going and pitch it at high krausen, and pray its enough so save 10 gallons of IPA.

Next time follow the hydrometer readings, not a calendar or 'the plan'.

Yep, malkore that was what I have been thinking. In more than 20 batches I have never had an issue with this. Combine that with the fact that I am headed out of town on Thursday and I wanted to be done with dry hopping by then and I rushed it I guess. I have come to count on that WLP0001 as consistent as hell. Oh well. Will re-pitch with the starter and hope to hell it works itself out while I am out of town...

Hoping the brewing gods have smiled upon me. Checked on the brew this evening and both air locks were steadily bubbling away. Going to let it be until I get back in town and hope I have a drinkable FG by then...

Back