Extraction of beta-amylase from sweet potatoes to revive stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephonovich

Reaction score
Hey all, I don't know how many of you frequent /r/homebrewing on Reddit, but this is an x-post from there to get a wider range of thoughts. This is the Reddit post, which I reproduced below if you'd rather not go there and follow the trail.

//Begin Reddit

I previously posted about ways to save my stout, which was stuck due to (I suspect) incomplete conversion from too high of mash temps, or new-to-BIAB-confusion, or something.

I didn't want to use Beano, as it's notoriously hard to control once it gets going; also, this seemed more, um, natural.

Due to the weather not supporting a desire to be outdoors, I turned to the internet for an alternate source of enzymes. I found this paper from 1920, detailing the extraction/conversion of starches into sugars, relying only the diastatic power of the sweet potato. Also, this paper, which stated (among other things) that the beta enzyme was distributed throughout the sweet potato, with alpha being mostly directly underneath the skin.

Now, of course, I didn't want to boil the sweet potatoes, as that would denature the enzymes. At the same time, I wasn't thrilled about the potential for an infection, so I compromised. I boiled the water I would use, then cooled it to mash temp. I sanitized all surfaces/equipment used. I skinned the sweet potato, hoping that any lacto on the exterior wouldn't find its way to the flesh.

This album is the result. After three days, SG has dropped from 1.056 to 1.043! I shook the bucket to rouse the yeast (a mixture of WLP028 and US-05 currently, as the initial thought was the 028 gave up the ghost), and it's happily bubbling away.

There has been no krausen during this time, but gravity readings don't lie.

As I haven't boiled the wort since adding the enzymes, they will continue to convert sugars. My current method of FG control is hope in the reported attenuation capabilities of WLP028/US-05, with US-05 being the big one of concern. Assuming it makes it to 80%, that would put me at about 1.020, which is a tad lower than I'd like, but alright. I'm hoping for 1.025, which is 76% attenuation.

//End Reddit

So, HBT, thoughts? It's still bubbling about once every 15-20 seconds. I plan on taking a reading again in a week or so. For the record, I just took a hydrometer reading to confirm a refractometer; it's at 1.041.

Sounds interesting. Did the references about the beta in sweet potatoes give any information on level of activity of beta at fermentation temps vs. normal mashing temps?

Brew on :mug:

So wait, you were putting beta amylase into the partially done beer? Are you certain it was stuck due to incomplete conversion and not simply lagging?

I just use commercially available amylase preparations when I need them. BSG has powdered amylase, and Brewcraft has liquid alpha and beta amylase. They all work very well.

Sounds interesting. Did the references about the beta in sweet potatoes give any information on level of activity of beta at fermentation temps vs. normal mashing temps?

Brew on :mug:

Certainly much lower than at the usual mashing temps, although my thought was they must still be active, given that seeds can germinate in the ground.

ArcaneXor said:
I just use commercially available amylase preparations when I need them. BSG has powdered amylase, and Brewcraft has liquid alpha and beta amylase. They all work very well.

Part of this was a desire to try something out, also, I had no idea beta-amylase extract existed. I searched for a long time. Even Brewcraft, after looking, refers to it as an "exo-alpha amylase." *blink* I'll probably give that a try, as it's currently sitting at about 1.040; just under 10% ABV. Definitely drinkable, but not ideal.

As to the stalling, no, it's been far too long for that. I've agitated, raised temp, added energizer, pitched US-05... there's just nothing to chew on.

Certainly much lower than at the usual mashing temps, although my thought was they must still be active, given that seeds can germinate in the ground.

Part of this was a desire to try something out, also, I had no idea beta-amylase extract existed. I searched for a long time. Even Brewcraft, after looking, refers to it as an "exo-alpha amylase." *blink* I'll probably give that a try, as it's currently sitting at about 1.040; just under 10% ABV. Definitely drinkable, but not ideal.

As to the stalling, no, it's been far too long for that. I've agitated, raised temp, added energizer, pitched US-05... there's just nothing to chew on.

AMG300 is technically gamma amylase, but it gets the job done.

Back