Extract to All grain recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtobrew123

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed an IPA at a Brew on Premise a few weeks ago. they helped me with the recipe for a 15 gallon batch:

i believe we started with 17 gallons of water, and used:

1.75 lbs of Caramunich

8.0 quarts of Super Light Liquid Malt Extract
1.5 quarts of Amber Liquid Malt Extract.

How would this translate to an all grain batch?

thanks!

Do you have the OG of your beer? I know you started with 17 gal but I assume you had a pretty big boil off. You would also really need the weight of the extract, though you can estimate it at about 24 lbs light LME and 4.5 lb amber LME. The problem is knowing the composition of the amber LME - probably something like base malt, munich, and C-60 but you might have to guess at percentages. If you assume it's 70% pale, 20% munich, and 10% C-60, and use the standard conversion of extract to grain your overall recipe percentages would be (if my math is right):

91% pale or 2-row
4.4% caramunich
3% munich
1.5 % C-60

Probably easiest to combine the C-60 and caramunich and go with 6% of either. Then if know your target OG you can figure out the weights.

The OG was 1.060.
Yea, i actually tried to find the ingredient list for Briesse Amber, but it said it was proprietary =/

Here's my calculations:

For a 15 gallon batch, 1.060 OG, your recipe was:

20lb Extra Light LME
4lb Amber LME
1.75lb CaraMunich.

The SRM would have been right around 8. Amber LME is made up of 2-row, Crystal 60L, and Munich. To achieve the same OG and SRM with all-grain (15 gallon batch, assuming 75% efficiency), you would use:

30lb Pale 2-row (90.2%)
1.75lb CaraMunich 50L (5.3%)
1.0lb Munich 20L (3%)
0.5lb Caramel/Crystal 60L (1.5%)

Hope this helps!

this is perfect thank you.

30lb Pale 2-row (90.2%)
1.75lb CaraMunich 50L (5.3%)
1.0lb Munich 20L (3%)
0.5lb Caramel/Crystal 60L (1.5%)

this includes both the super light and the amber LME?

Yes, the munich and C-60 come from the amber. We're guessing at percentages here but looks like Juno and I came up with pretty much the same thing. The light is just base malt.

Back