Extract SmaSh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal_J

Reaction score
I inadvertantly ordered 6 pounds of Munton's Hopped Light DME. I am figuring i could use it in a SmaSH of sorts. I understand that it is most likely not one malt, but it is pretty close from what I can tell through my research. Anyway, since I can't get any real data on this stuff here is what I was planning:

6lb Hopped Light DME
1.5oz Warrior for 30 min
.5oz Warrior for 15 min

Safale US-05

According to Beersmith it looks like it should work but I haven't used any of these particular ingredients before as I have only used kits up to this point.

Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks in advance

It will be neither single malt, nor single hop since you're using hopped extract. I never used hopped extract when I was brewing with it mostly due to not knowing precisely is in it. Plus, the hop contribution will fade in it making it difficult (at best) to predict what you'll get.

IF you REALLY want to do something close to a SMaSH, do a pale ale, just don't call it a SMaSH... I would also ditch the hopped extract and go for unhopped extract.

If/when you get into all grain brewing, then you can make an actual SMaSH batch. Until then, please don't try to apply that term/name to an extract (of any kind) batch... It makes my MO SMaSH angry, and you don't want to have MO angry at you... :eek:

:off: I'd like to see what hopped malt extract tastes like... Is it bitter already?

Yes. That's the point.

It's not that bad, actually. AFAIK manufacturers use hops extract in the production of hopped-malt-extract worts, which makes it fairly neutral.

Bob

Thank you all for your input,

@golddiggie I understand that it is not a true SMaSH, I misstated what I am attempting... I do know though that there are malt extracts that are single malt, just not this particular one.

I guess my real question was whether using the ingredients that I have, is it gonna be unpalateable or at least drinkable?

Warrior hops are well known for bittering, but I'm not sure about adding 1.5 ounces at 30 minutes as you will get a ton of bitterness out of them. Adding it to prehopped extract might give you a BITTER tasting beer. I never use them for flavor hops, as I use them for bittering, but they might have a good flavor at 15 minutes.

How drinkable, and how good it will be really depends on how you brew it, how you ferment it. Everything works together to make a brew good/great. It's also pretty easy for a single bad element to bring down the entire batch.

Personally, I probably wouldn't make what you've listed with the extract listed. IMO/IME using unhopped extract and adding ALL of the hops yourself will make a better brew. Then again I've long since stopped making brews with any DME/LME in the recipes. All I use DME for now is my starters.

Back