Extract, selecting the correct kind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I am a partial mash/extract brewer.

Simple question, what is the extract equivalent for 2 row?

When I am converting an all grain recipe into something I can make, I am always confused as to what malt extract should be used?
In the past I have used:
Pale extract for Pale ale
Extra Light for Blonde

However is there a difference between using light, extra light or pilsen for a pale ale?
Is there a difference between one company's pilsen and anthers Pale malt?
Does it all have to do with coloring, or is there specific extract that in each particular malt extract?

Or am I once again over thinking my brewing?

In general, color, malt flavor and mouth feel come from the grains you steep. The sugars come from the extract. Does that mean that dark DME will give you a lightly colored beer? Nope. In fact, if you want a lightly colored beer, add only half of your extract at the beginning of the boil and add the rest near the end. Normally, when you're replacing a grain like 2-row, you'll want to go as light as you can. To add to this confusion, different companies call the same thing by different names. This doesn't get much better when you move to AG brewing either because one maltster might call an adjunct grain by one name while another will call it something else.

Fortunately, we have a reliable too -- our friendly Local Homebrew Shop. At many brewshops, they will have some sort of sign differentiating between commonly confused things. If you order online, you can find web sites that will give you that data.

i can only speak for liquid extract...briess & maillard malts are the same.
mm gold is the same as briess light, both are like 95% 2row, 5% carapils
mm Pilsen is like 95% pils, 5% carapils
their Maris otter is supposedly 100%
their Munich is like 70% Munich, 30% pils (I think)

I thought I was reading the descriptions of lme on line from one of the major manufacturers and it said what was in it. Can't remember which site it was but it gave a rough breakdown. You should be able to find something similar to what meat cleaver posted somewhere.

I thought I was reading the descriptions of lme on line from one of the major manufacturers and it said what was in it. Can't remember which site it was but it gave a rough breakdown. You should be able to find something similar to what meat cleaver posted somewhere.

After a simple Google search I found this information, which was very helpful.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Extracts.htm

Latest posts

Back