Extract porter recipe (whatchy'all think?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elninbo

Reaction score
Here's my take on a robust porter. Just borrowing from what I've seen. This will be my first porter.

3.5 lbs pale DME
3.5 lbs pale DME (late addition)

1 lb Victory malt
.5 lb chocolate malt
.25 lb black patent malt

.5 oz nugget @60
.75 williamette @40
.75 williamette @20

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

I'm pretty sure this will work. Seems pretty simple to me from what I've seen of porters around the 'net. I might or might not add vanilla.

So...whatchy'all think? Too much hops? Is 1lb of victory appropriate?

Seven pounds of DME calculates to 1.063 SG and 6% ABV. OK, a Robust Porter and the limit for that is 1.065. Not that you gotta brew to style. Whatever floats yer boat.

The bitterness is down there around 21. Not too much hops for that much DME.

I kinda like it.

Porter is broad and forgiving. For example, I prefer a Brown Porter with almost unnoticeable bitterness. If the DME drops to 5.5lbs total for 1.050 SG then the same hop bill rises to 27 IBU and I'd bring it back down to 18 or 20. Just my pref.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm getting closer to 50 IBUs on this one. Which does seem a bit high for the style to me.

That's more like a black IPA. Which is not bad. If you still want a Porter, then the bitterness should be way down.

Back