Extract Kit with Base Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonutMuncher

Reaction score
I've only done a few batches of extract kits. I want to brew an AHS Honey Blonde ale next, but even the basic extract kit comes with 0.5 lbs of base grains and 0.75 lbs of specialty grains.

I used specialty grains in my last batch which was a nice touch. I was easily able to steep them in hot water in my brew pot before adding the extract.

Basic question: Do I need more equipment for this 0.5 lbs of base grains? I assume they have to be mashed and not just steeped? I just have one large 5.5 gallon brew kettle so I'm not sure how the process will work with these base grains, even though there is only half a pound.

Thanks!

Does the instructions tell you to mash or simply steep them? I can't imagine why you would go through the trouble of mashing 8 oz of grains.

I wouldn't think it would matter much.
I am an extract guy myself. What I've been trying to do with my steeps is treat them like a mash.
It's not much different at all from steeping.

Back