Extract Brewing-specialty grains steep time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remman4

Reaction score
Hello from Cincinnati!

I decided to try out a take on a bronze ale last night, like copper ale only darker..

as an experiment I decided to do a 45 min steep instead of the usual 30 min time frame, my reasoning was that I was steeping a lot of grain and the muslin bags were full before wetting.

grains:
.75 lb crystal rye
0.5 lb 60L crystal
0.13 lb roasted barley
.75 lb 40L crystal
.5 lb flaked barley

fermentables were 8 lb canadian LME

hops:
1 oz centennial 60 min
1 oz yakima magnum 60 min
1 oz cascade 20 min
1 oz cascade flame out

pitched two packs of Safale US-05 dry yeast

fermentation has already started after ~8 hours!

the question: what would you expect the change in steep time to equate to in the finished product?

Thanks!

I'm wondering about the steep time,since the BB summer ale (Belgian white clone),steeped for 20 mins. I'm wondering that maybe 45 mins might be too long? Maybe start getting tannins or no? I want to start using steeping grains myself,so that steep time is a good question. Wanna do it in a couple of weeks with some washed yeast.:mug:

another local board member told me he would expect a stronger malt profile from the longer steep, but that was a hypothesis

unless your pH and temp are incorrect, you're not going to leech tannins out.

Since steeping is mostly for color, some aroma and a bit of flavor (but no fermentables), you do hit a point where 'more isn't better'...simply because you hit the thresh hold of what steeping will accomplish.

Of course if you steeped overnight, you'd probably get some funkiness, but in terms of 30 vs 45 vs 60 minutes it should't matter a ton.

I could see a lighter SRM beer using a short steep and a dash of darker crystal malt to achieve the same color as a longer steep with lighter crystal....as it would make the recipe cheaper :)

Back