Extract beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foley178

Reaction score
My last three beers have tasted like straight wheat after taste and it's getting frustrating. Idk what I'm doing wrong. Some have been speciality brews with grain and some straight extract

Need some details of your brewing process and the recipe to help you out. Also what is your timeline from pitching the yeast to bottling?

Like flars said we need more info - recipes, fermentation temp and schedule, etc. Also can you explain what you mean by wheat aftertaste? Do you mean kind of grainy, or are you referring to a German hefeweizen like taste - i.e. phenolic or banana flavors?

Brewed for 30 mins. It was a quick brew from Midwest supplies. It's been in bottle 10 days and fridged 3. I was just trying to test it came out really Carbed but when I drank it tasted like a wheaty taste. And the more I drank the more of the taste I think was coming from the yeast after tones but I'm not too sure

My first extract brew used Cooper's pre-hopped light lager LME and some wheat LME. After fermenting two weeks, I bottled at room temps around 65F for a week or two. It had a "green" taste and was carbed OK, but I decided to let it go for a whole month before drinking. The 'green" taste subsided and it was actually fairly drinkable.

show the recipe and would be a little easier to tell what may have went wrong

I did extract brewing for about a year and my experience was beer at about a week after bottling was decent but not carbed much. Weeks two to 6 was "on my god, where did I go wrong." Then after that they got better with aging. Once you get a pipeline going and your beers can age you will find that they will come out very tasty! :mug:

Is it hazy? Is there still yeast in the beer? Could be a yeast flavor. To know the difference: Taste some plain white flour by itself. That's wheat. Then taste a slice of plain white bread (like Wonder Bread). That's actually way more of a yeast flavor than a wheat flavor. Also I wonder if you might be tasting more of a dough flavor, which is also usually a yeast flavor and not a grain flavor. So...

Does your beer taste more like plain flour (the wheat itself), or like bread or dough (yeast)?

Yes noticed some hazy. And it's a wheaty taste but after smelling it seems like the yeast the beer maybe a little green. I'll try another one tomorrow

Brewed for 30 mins. It was a quick brew from Midwest supplies. It's been in bottle 10 days and fridged 3. I was just trying to test it came out really Carbed but when I drank it tasted like a wheaty taste. And the more I drank the more of the taste I think was coming from the yeast after tones but I'm not too sure

How long did it sit in primary fermentation? Temps of that?

Back