Extract American Barleywine recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlarsen625

Reaction score
I'm hoping I can get some feedback on an extract recipe I'm putting together for an American Barleywine. Here's what I have so far:

3 lbs. Amber LME
8 lbs. Light DME at 15 min.
8 oz. Crystal 40L
3 oz. Chocolate Malt

2 oz. Cascade @ 60 min.
1 oz. Centennial @ 30 min.
1 oz. Wilamette @ 5 min.
Cascade Dry Hop

California Ale yeast

I'd like to keep it between 9-10% and I'm still up in the air on the specialty grain selection. I'm still toying with the ideas of going straight Crystal 80L or maybe adding in some Special B. Thanks in advance!

Going to be around 1.095.

I'd use about half pound of Special B in place of the chocolate.

With the high alcohol, and just extract, you are likely to finish high. Might want to think about replacing some of the DME with simple table sugar. Maybe up to 1.5 lbs. It will help it finish drier.

Your IBUs are really low. Need to get some decent bittering hops. 2 ozs of Centennial at 60 will be a good start (or Magnum, or Chinook, or Galena, etc .... anything above 10%). The Centennial at 30 is not really doing anything, I'd move it to 15.

I'd drop the cascade since they are low bittering and are not giving any flavor.

My 2 cents worth.

Back