Extra stuff in a cherry wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkdiesel

Reaction score
I've made my cherry wheat before and its good. Its tart which comes with using Michigan cherries we pick. Its also light and refreshing. Anyway, I was going through some of my ingredients and found some Belgian rock candy, 1 lbs. You know where this is going.
Questions:

When to add the candy? I typically add 1/4 of the cherries for last 10 min of boil and then the remainder when I rack to secondary.

What effect will the candy have on the flavor? Will it make it sweeter or dryer?

Suggestions?
Thoughts?

Thanks

You could also dissolve in a small amount of boiling water, cool, and add to secondary when you add the cherries. It will definitely dry it out, not sweeten, so ask yourself whether that's a good or bad thing for this beer. Depending on how much simple sugar it's already getting from the cherries, it could end up too dry. What's the FG been on previous batches?

Back