Extra Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modobrew

Reaction score
ok so i went to my LHBS looking to get the ingredients to make an extra pale (extract brewing) like the one northern brewer offers. They have everything I need, minus the Caramel Pils. So the guy says they recently ran out of caramel pils... my luck. so he then tells me that somehow biscuit and caramel got combined in a bag and they werent sure what they were going to do with it. i pondered... this could be interesting. So i got a pound of it instead. so my recipe is as follows

1 lbs. Caramel Biscuit
6 lbs. American Classic Light LME
2 oz. Cascade (60 min)
1 oz. Cascade (1 min)
Wyeast #1056 American Ale Yeast

I went with the Light LME instead of the Extra Light just for something different. I don't know how this is going to turn out, but we shall see.

Let me know what you guys think. I will continue to sip on one of my Nut Brown Ales. :tank:

What AA% are your cascades? I am getting to be a bigger and bigger HOP FAN! Especially in these Pale Ales. (Thanks to Dales and others)
I might Experiment with hop timing to address better hop flavor and aroma, as 2 oz of cascade at 60 min seems a bit too bitter for me....but I wouldn't turn you down if you offered me one just as you have it either.

I think you're good to go.

I'm using plugs for the 2 oz 60 min and the AA% is 7.4. Im using pellets for the 1 oz 1 min and it's AA% is 6.3.

I think my OG should be around 1.049 and I'm going to shoot for a FG of 1.012. I guess we will see how that works out for me.

I brewed a very similar brew yesterday (the NB kit, plus 1# of XL-DME), and was thinking of dry hopping 1oz of Cascades in the secondary for the last 7 days, do yall think that might be too overpowering?

I brewed a very similar brew yesterday (the NB kit, plus 1# of XL-DME), and was thinking of dry hopping 1oz of Cascades in the secondary for the last 7 days, do yall think that might be too overpowering?

I brewed the extra pale ale kit from Northern Brewer plus an extra pound of light DME and an extra ounce of hops. I did 1 oz. additions at 60, 20, and 5 minutes plus an ounce in secondary. Bitterness, flavor and aroma were all spot on. I absolutely recommend this brew and will be making it again soon.

awesome, i was thinking about dry hopping mine as well. going to wait to rack it to the secondary before doing so. I guess i will stick with cascade unless someone thinks some other addition might be a nice touch. i racked to the primary last night about 11:30 and at 5:30 this morning i had a little bubble action in my air lock

I did the American pale Ale Brewrs BEst kit for my very first brew. I then Dryhopped for a week with an ounce of cascades. It was SOOO GOOD!!!! Just finished my last bottle last week that I'd set back to taste with SWMBO post baby delivery. Made me miss it all over again. I NEED to brew an IPA

question for someone out there, if i dry hop, what other hops would be a good compliment in this beer, or should i stick with cascade?

hmmm, im trying to think what hops i have at home that i could use. i thinking i might have some centennial or amarillo. i just need to check. thanks for the suggestions

well my OG was 1.052. I just racked to the secondary today and my FG was 1.008. To my best knowledge my ABV should be 5.9%. Seems about right to me. I tasted it and tastes pretty damn good. Just enough hops for me. might be closer to an american pale ale rather than an IPA. Similar to Sierra Nevada but not quite as hoppy. going to bottle this coming weekend. I'll take pics of clarity and color. I decided not to dry hop with this one.

Back