Extra Light DME vs Light DME-Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJinJacksonville

Reaction score
Evening all. I'm going to be brewing an extract brown ale recipe that I formulated over the weekend. The recipe calls for 6lbs of light DME. Of course, when I hit my local LHBS on Sunday, they were completely out of light DME...and only had extra light DME. Aside from not as much body to it, has anyone subbed like this and not liked how it came out?

My instinct told me to wait until they were restocked, as I prefer to support local businesses (except for some of the sponsors on here-especially those with whom I submitted giveaway entries :ban:), but I really thought I would have time to brew on Sunday (which of course did not work out).

So basically...do I make it work with the extra light DME and lose some body, or try to switch out for light DME?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Id say switch it out. Do you have the ability to partial mash? If you were really worried about it maybe steep some carapils and c40 for body and a little color boost? Keep in mind DME and LME arent interchangeable by weight. 6lbs of DME should be substituted with ~7.5Lbs of LME

Thanks for the replies. For experiment's sake, I may let it ride this time and have a side-by-side comparison for body (I plan on making another brown ale with coconut next brew). Adding the Carapils is a great idea...I may have to try that on this one.

Appreciate the advice! :mug:

Thanks for the replies. For experiment's sake, I may let it ride this time and have a side-by-side comparison for body (I plan on making another brown ale with coconut next brew). Adding the Carapils is a great idea...I may have to try that on this one.

Appreciate the advice! :mug:

Pretty sure that both extra light and light DME have carapils added. The only difference I can think of is the color. One is a tiny, very tiny, bit lighter in color.

If you can find a manufacturer's product summary and malt ingredient list it would help you spot differences important to you..

I use Briess products much of the time.
The Weyermann and Dingemans malt websites have great information available, too. If you're using other products, try searching the Web for data. Like I said, I use Briess and their product data summary sheets are pretty informative.

Great idea. I will start reviewing those a bit more carefully to continue expanding my knowledge base on ingredients. Thanks fellas.

All of the Breiss DME and LME products have Carapils in them. I couldn't tell you if others (like Muntons) have Carapils,

I will do that. It is on day four in the chamber...was probably the most active brewing cycle yet. Smells delish and the color when I sealed the cap was a beautiful chestnut brown. I hate having to wait...haha. I will let you all know!

Thanks.

Well, I bottled last weekend and couldn't resist but to try one this evening (okay, two). Still needs to condition more...but the color is a deep, rich brown. I think you all were right...minimal noticeable difference in color/body. I am making another similar batch this weekend, but adding coconut. I will try the light DME and see what happens...haha.

Cheers!

Back