Extended Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomadb

Reaction score
I hope i'm not infested with wild yeast.

Fermentation began 11 days ago. I am still getting a bubble in my fermentation lock every 5-10 seconds. It has slowed over the past several days, but it still seems pretty fast to be 11 days into it.

I used 1028 London Ale yeast. about 9lbs of extract syrup.

What do you people think?

airlock = not a great indication of fermentation ending.

what does the hydrometer tell you?

malkore said:
airlock = not a great indication of fermentation ending.

what does the hydrometer tell you?

i've not taken any readings yet....the bubbles coming up the inside wall of the carboy make me believe it is still active......is there another reason it would still be producing CO2 bubbles?

nomadb said:
I hope i'm not infested with wild yeast.

That would really suck man:D

Everything sounds like it is going fine, with that much extract it could take a bit longer than normal, also take into account Pitching Rate (how much vialble yeast you actually pitched), and fermentation temps. All that and more can play a part in the length of your primary fermentation. Or maybe you just have really lazy yeast and they are just working slow:cross:

Cheers

I just made a high grav Hefe with 7 pounds of DME (equal to 8.75 pounds of LME). It is bubbling similar to yours after 8 days.

I'm feeling better about this after reading some of your posts.....:tank:

I felt like it was OK, but i have never brewed a beer this heavy and didn't know if it was normal to see such a long, active, fermentation.

thanks, all....:mug:

My IPA was about 9lbs extract and took almost two weeks to ferment out. At day 11 it was still cloudy. I just racked to secondary tonight.

McKBrew said:
My IPA was about 9lbs extract and took almost two weeks to ferment out. At day 11 it was still cloudy. I just racked to secondary tonight.

cool. this is an ipa as well, and it is still cloudy, but appears to be begining to break...

Latest posts

Back