Explosive Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLogic

Reaction score
I brewed a barleywine a couple days ago with OG @ 1.100 and pitched one package of Wyeast Scottish Ale and one package of Wyeast London ESB (the first for attenuation, the latter because I like the flavor profile) at 70 degrees with 68 degrees ambient temp. The fermentation looked normal yesterday, but today it's so vigorous that it blew my 0.5 inch blow-off tube and the stopper right off the carboy and volcanoed all over the place! I checked and verified there were no blockages in the tube. Any suggestions for what to do about a ferment so vigorous that it can't even be contained by a blow-off tube?

Sounds like you need to remove the stopper and insert a bigger blow off tube next time.

I thought I had plenty of headspace - it's a 5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon Better Bottle. I've never seen a stopper for a Better Bottle that accommodates a blow-off tube larger than 0.5 inches. Any idea how to rig one up?

The krausen foam in the blowoff tube, despite no actual blockage, is enough to create some positive pressure in the fermenter.

You can try to find a large hose whose OD is the same as the ID of the carboy, then you just shove it in without any bung/stopper and it seals well. For the glass carboys a 1" tube was perfect. Not sire about the Better Bottles.

No one else said it so I'll be "that guy", but: Temperature control.

That's the only way to be sure you keep your fermentations in check. I had this problem with almost every beer I brewed until I got a ferm chamber, and since then I have not needed the blow-off tube once. Remember that an ambient temp of 68°F will yield fermentation temps around 78°F at high krausen. That's pretty warm as far as ferm temps go for ale yeasts.

If you can't get the temps under control, I definitely recommend getting some 1" ID tubing as it fits right into the mouth of carboys and will completely eliminate any chances of blockage or eruptions.

That's the only way to be sure you keep your fermentations in check. I had this problem with almost every beer I brewed until I got a ferm chamber, and since then I have not needed the blow-off tube once. Remember that an ambient temp of 68°F will yield fermentation temps around 78°F at high krausen. That's pretty warm as far as ferm temps go for ale yeasts.

If you can't get the temps under control, I definitely recommend getting some 1" ID tubing as it fits right into the mouth of carboys and will completely eliminate any chances of blockage or eruptions.

This !

Second this ^. Until such time that ferm temp control is established --- at least a swamp cooler --- you can, like others have said use a larger diameter tube in your carboy. It should accept a 1" I.D. tube stuck directly into the mouth of the carboy, no stopper. Still... ferm temp control will give you an all-around better beer.

I agree with Temperature Control, and specially on really high OG beers with an English strain that's known to ferment vigorously.

Personally I use a Speidel and it has a 7.5 gallon capacity so that gives me ample room for krausen in a fermentation chamber. And I use FermCap in the boil which helps tame hotbreak and fermentation.

Another HUGE benefit to controlling temperature is to keep unwanted esters out.

Latest posts

Back