Exploding bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taquina

Reaction score
I've brewed on and off for the last 5 years and I've never had bottles explode. But I've had three of my bottles explode in the last ten days since bottling. Why?

I bottled in 1 liter, 16 oz, and 12 oz bottles. So far I've lost both 12 oz and one 16 oz. could it be that the loss of volume with racking and checking hydrometer readings lowered the volume so much that I used too much priming sugar? Or was there too much residual yeast in the bottles?

Please help. I dont want this to happen again.

Thanks.

Too much sugar or fermentation was not done. You can not have too much yeast they can only eat the sugar available to them.

+1
I doubt that the amount you lost from racking caused you to add too much sugar. It may very well be that this particular beer is just taking longer to ferment than your previous batches. Did you check your FG before bottling? Was it on target?

Sometimes its best to check the FG throughout a few days to make sure it isn't moving...

as a way to reuse yeast I often pour the yeast slurry from primary into pint bottles and cap, no sugar of course, but i have never had an exploding bottle. but then again they always live in the fridge until they get used. maybe a combination of too much priming sugar and a the temp rising?

I would be inclined to carefuly open a 12 oz and see the level of carbination, if the beer shoots out the bottle then you might need to release the pressure and recap the rest.

1-Carefully place a bottle in the fridge. Let it chill overnight. Measure the specific gravity of the bottled beer. You will have to allow the hydrometer sample to warm up and the foam to subside. Spin the hydrometer so CO2 doesn't suspend it and give a false reading.

2- Correct for temperature. Google "specific gravity temperature" and a host of online converters will be available. Temperature affects SG and most hydrometers are calibrated at 60F.

3- Compare the SG of the bottled beer with the gravity you measured before bottling. If the gravity of the bottled beer is lower than the FG before bottling, that will tell you fermentation wasn't complete.

4- It only takes a drop of ~2 gravity points to prime a bottle to 2.4 volumes of CO2. If your beer wasn't done fermenting (had a couple of points to go) and you added priming sugar, the bottles are now overcarbonated.

5- Be very careful! You now know what a mess exploding bottles create, but they can also cause serious injury. Get the remaining bottles chilled, if possible. Cold beer is able to absorb CO2 better than warm beer. The closer to freezing 9without actually freezing) the better.

6- You may have to uncap these bottles to relieve some of the pressure. If the beer gushes out, the batch may be a goner.

If you pop the caps wear safety goggles. I once a bottle cap shot off a bottle and leave a indention in my drywall ceiling in my garage. Also, chill the beers before doing so.

Is it possible that the pressure of the capper used on bottles (that are reused many, many times) are causing weak spots and causing these bottles to burst?
Anyone know just how many times you can use a bottle before it gives in to living under pressure?

No, most lever cappers grab the lip and pull the cap down. I have had bottles break when the capper grabbed too tightly, but it happens right away and would not cause an explosion later on. You would be able to see the crack in the glass.

If that really worries you then get a bench capper, that's what I use now. It makes bottling day a little more pleasant and is faster too. It works for me.

I can't imagine that it hadn't finished fermenting. I took successive hydrometer readings for two days (on target) before racking to the secondary fermenter. It was in the secondary for two more weeks.

Two of the exploded bottles were on the cement basement floor. Would the slight heating and cooling of the floor cause the explosions?

All the bottles were newly acquired.

How much priming sugar did you use? Also it mite not have been mixed in good enough. Do you know if the bottles that went boom are the first or last ones you did from the batch?

IMHO, you only have a few options. Fermentation was not yet completed, you added to much sugar by mistake or you have a secondary bacterial infection that is causing and excess build up of gas.

Yes, two of the three that exploded were the last two to bottle.

Does size matter? None of the one liter bottles have exploded.

Oh, and I just dropped the sugar solution into my bottling bucket as I transfered it from the secondary fermenter - which is what I always have done.

What was the OG and FG and how much priming sugar did you use? and what volume of beer did you bottle?

Yes, two of the three that exploded were the last two to bottle.

Does size matter? None of the one liter bottles have exploded.

Those liter bottles are very strong. I have had a bottle bomb from one of them though, it was on the counter about 10 feet from me, wow!

Bottle_Bomb1.JPG

Ok, you guys all have me freaked out now. I just pulled one of the bottles out of the basement and put it in the refrigerator, but carrying it as if it were a stick of dynamite.

OG: 1.036
FG: 1.002

5 oz priming sugar

I bottled: 13 x 1.1 liter, 2 x 16 oz, and 2 x 12 oz = 4.2 gallons

Ok, you guys all have me freaked out now. I just pulled one of the bottles out of the basement and put it in the refrigerator, but carrying it as if it were a stick of dynamite.

OG: 1.036
FG: 1.002

5 oz priming sugar

I bottled: 13 x 1.1 liter, 2 x 16 oz, and 2 x 12 oz = 4.2 gallons

Hmmm, theoretically that should give you around 3.1 volumes of CO2. Which is highly carbed, but shouldn't be enough for bottle bombs. With an FG that low, it seems likely that those last few bottles got a disproportionate amount of sugar.

Latest posts

Back