exploding bottles after chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studmonk3y

Reaction score
So this pretty much stumps me. I made a batch of graff for my gf's first brew. It fermented for 26 days, then I bulk primed with dextrose. The bottles were sitting in my room temperature closet for about 36 days. Now I transported them all to my gf's house a few days ago and she immediately put them all in the fridge. Now she's told me a couple of them have exploded, and the ones she did open are gushers.

I didn't take as good of notes on this because it was her cider and not my precious beer. I forgot to take a FG reading, but figured I'd be ok because it fermented so long, and the last week of fermentation I ramped it up to room temperature. Tastes dry though.

I forgot to record the amount of priming sugar I used, but I'm thinking it was something like 120g for 18L. I weigh my sugar with a small digital scale.

Bottles were soaked in oxyclean, bottle brushed, rinsed, then sanitized with starsan before bottling.

Bottles were twist offs capped with bench capper. Seals seemed tight after bottling.

The few I sampled over the past few weeks were fine with no issues with exploding or gushing, seemed to taste fine as well.

What is weird is they are exploding now that they being chilled rather than when they sat in my warm closet for over a month. This goes against everything I've read on bottle bombs. I've been brewing over 2 years now, have never had bombs, and this goes against all the threads I've read on the subject. I'm careful with sanitation too, never use anything to scratch my plastic bottling bucket, use pH strips to make sure starsan is effective, etc.

Any clues on why this is happening and the best thing to do at this point?

Is it possible that they started to freeze? That could have weakened the bottles and explain the greater pressure.

The only other guess I have is unevenly mixed priming sugar, resulting in overcarbonation of some bottles.

my best guess is contamination. Not all microbes grow best at room temp, some grow best in the fridge... you know, like the kind that can be found in the fridge. Those rogue microbes continue eating all the other things and emitting gas, hence, the bombs.

Since you didn't take a final gravity, it's possible that your fermentation might have stalled or drastically slowed down for some reason.

The jiggling and temp changes of transporting them might have roused the yeast out of their stupor and started fermentation again.

False Alarm!
After going over to her house to check out the situation first hand, the bottles are breaking because she had them push all the way to the back, right against the chilling plate. The bottles in the back are touching the plate, and freezing, causing the bottles to break.
Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back