Experiments and ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SerifSansSerif

Reaction score
So, I'm creating this topic mainly for my own enjoyment, but also in the hopes that some of the random things that strike me might inspire others to either attempt them, should I not be able to, or, perhaps gain some inspiration and branch off from them.

I welcome others to post their own 2am thoughts and ideas on new brews and techniques as well. The more the merrier!

To start off, I'm waiting for my honey to arrive, planning for a batch of blackberry melomel, which in and of itself may not be exciting or innovative, but it has me preoccupied with mead ideas.

Most recently, I've also started looking into bochets and acerglyns.

Although one thing I'd like to attempt would be to toy around a bit with bochets, and perhaps try to either mix honeys which have been burnt to varying degrees, or a mixture of burnt and raw honeys. (a tiny quantity of something really dark and carmelized with lots of dark flavors brought out through the maillard reaction might add a bit of a nuance to an otherwise "fresh" raw honey mead, without making it taste *quite* like one or the other).

This sort of train of thought also kinda made me think of acergyns. Maple syrup is essentially like the burnt honey in bochets. It's sugars (primarily sucrose in maple syrup, fructose and glucose in honey) that has been boiled down from its original form and caramelized to some degree.

This leads to two thoughts.

1. How about trying a birch syrup in place of maple? (would you call this a Betulglyn?) Birch syrup, unlike maple, is primarily glucose and fructose, which means the sugars are more in line with honey. Secondarily, the flavor profile might be an interesting one to capture, and might make a nice late addition to a mead, either in the secondary (or tertiary) fermentation, or to backsweeten.

2. Instead of water, what nuances might be added by adding the saps of these trees directly in place of water? Chances are the fermentation might just rip right through them and leave it a bit bare. Nevertheless an experiment worth trying. (Maple sap has a sugar content of around 2-3%) This also might be an interesting application for beer making as well. (also, since beer makers can be water mineral snobs, birch sap has a rather unique chemical profile in its own right. One might have to work via extracts rather than all grain from what I gather from the how to's I've seen (and beer making is just not my thing), but that's a thing worthy of its own toying around with). It may also be interesting to see what affect the nitrogen and phosphorus within some of these saps might have on the need for nutrition. (these saps, from what I understand in their non-boiled state need to be keep cool and used quickly as they are apt to go bad (ferment) )

3. From working with cider, there's jacking. Why not jack the sap (prior to fermentation) as well. With birch syrup, it's actually helpful to partially freeze and remove water prior to the boil down (as the fructose/glucose blend burns VERY easily...** ) What if this process was applied a number of times to ramp up the sugar levels in a sap to something more palatable to brewing? (I hear some people going "now wait a minute! Concentrating the sap isn'g going to give you syrup!" and you're right. BUT, what nuance might you be able to gain that might be lost in the boiling process? After all isn't that why you don't traditionally cook honey for meads? Secondarily, you're not aiming for a sugar content on par with honey or syrup. You're aiming for one that's significantly higher than sap, but equal to essentially honey or syrup might be diluted with water. This is a much lower sugar solution than the 80-90% sugar content of honey or syrups).

**(In fact, reading about the process for birch syrup, a very big FLAT pan is recommended over a deep one. Something to bear in mind for makers of bochets)

I guess this is where my thoughts for now will end. Nevertheless, I'm sure there will be more.

Interesting thoughts, SerifSansSerif, but on a technical note, I am not sure that bochet involves any Mailard reaction as you are caramelizing sugars and not toasting carbohydrates (grains). I think that these are quite different chemical processes... but I stand to be happily corrected...

Interesting thoughts, SerifSansSerif, but on a technical note, I am not sure that bochet involves any Mailard reaction as you are caramelizing sugars and not toasting carbohydrates (grains). I think that these are quite different chemical processes... but I stand to be happily corrected...

You're absolutely correct. Late night thoughts and all. :)

I am also thinking about making a bochet but my "problem" is in the caramelizing of the honey. I don't really have the time to stand over a pot of boiling honey (350 F) for about an hour and I don't know if I can heat the honey in my oven without fear of it producing so much foam and froth that it overflows and makes a mess of my oven that can't be cleaned. Do you know if you can make a bochet in a crockpot with a lid (to prevent any mess) or does the process require that all the steam and smoke be vented (in an open pot) to enable the sugars to fully caramelize... ?

To my taste, fermented maple syrup has an odd flavor; others might enjoy it, but I don't. If you've never tasted it, I'd suggest you have a taste of something that has fermented maple in it before committing to spending the money for real maple syrup.
Regards, GF.

1. Haven't used birch syrup or sap yet but we plan to this spring when we start tapping birch in addition to the maples we already tap.

2. Lots of people already use maple sap in their brews already. Look up some recipes on here. Smoked maple ambers made with sap, maple Belgians with sap, maple sap rye kolsch. I've made a ton.

3. A lot of maple sugarers currently use reverse osmosis to lose some of the water prior to boiling the sap to syrup. Many sugarers get RO sap to 1.05-1.06 prior to boiling.

I think a lot of these ideas are already currently in use just in different forms lol

I am also thinking about making a bochet but my "problem" is in the caramelizing of the honey. I don't really have the time to stand over a pot of boiling honey (350 F) for about an hour and I don't know if I can heat the honey in my oven without fear of it producing so much foam and froth that it overflows and makes a mess of my oven that can't be cleaned. Do you know if you can make a bochet in a crockpot with a lid (to prevent any mess) or does the process require that all the steam and smoke be vented (in an open pot) to enable the sugars to fully caramelize... ?

Yes a crockpot can be used but the process takes 10-15 minutes on an electric stove so why waste hours. Just use a 4-5 gallon pot. I use the rule of thumb of 1 pound of honey per gallon pot size. Using 5 pounds honey in a 4 gallon pot takes 15 minutes on high heat to get it a rich, deep, dark red. As long as you keep the amount at 1 pound per 1 gallon pot size, it burns down quickly without having it foam over. And just use the lid when you pour in the water to keep the burning honey from burning you.

Back