Experimenting with mint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halv2MX

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting an all grain Brown Ale recipe that I've created using the chocolate mint tea leaves growing in my backyard. Yesterday I transferred it to the secondary fermentor, checked the gravity, an took a taste. To my surprise the mint was far more stronger than expected; the aroma was magnificent, I could smell everything. The chocolate, the mint, the hops, and grain all had an equal combination that blended well with the flavor which was a strong bitter mint and flavorful maltiness that covered the whole tongue just like you get from a great brown ale. I only used 0.5 oz. at the o point (no flame heat) of the boil, letting it settle for 8 min. I look forward to the finished product. I think next time I will try the chocolate mint in a porter or a stout recipe which already have a lot of chocolate notes to the flavor. If anyone has tried this before give me shout and let me know how your beer turned out, if I'm the first I will definitely let you know how it turns out along with the opinions of my tasters.

I recently brewed with mint, nothing dark, I was just experimenting. I searched for as much information as I could about brewing with mint and found almost nothing. I put the mint in the secondary with a simple syrup because my previous attempts of "dry minting" didn't give me great results. I'm happy with the flavor, but I'd like more aroma, maybe I'll have to do a little of both next round. I had thought about adding during the boil, I just had no idea what would happen when boiling mint.

Latest posts

Back