experimental citrus winecooler OJ meets skeeter pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daze

Reaction score
I had a half box of oranges my wife and daughter were eating but didn't really like because they were to tart. I was afraid they were going to go bad before they got eaten (starting to get soft) so I cut them in half and hand squeezed out 1 quart of juice. I then dissolved 1 cup of sugar to 1 quart of water, and pored the juice in to the hot water. From there it went to a 1/2 gallon jug where I added some pectic enzyme. At the last minute I decided, that since half of my batch was sugar water I should add about 1/4 cup of real lemon and go for an OJ/skeeter pee hybrid. Pitched the starter late last night ("domesticated" wild apple cider yeast) and its a bubbling away now. If I can figure out a way to filter the pulp out of OJ concentrate I will back sweeten with that, bottle carbonate and then pasteurize. can't weight so see how it comes out.

#tag#winecoolers, hard soda, hard lemonade & more

Sounds tasty!! For the record they do make pulp free oj concentrate- you might have to shop around.

Sounds tasty!! For the record they do make pulp free oj concentrate- you might have to shop around.

oh duuu I should have thought of that, thanks

I would think that the pulp would settle rather quickly.

true enough when fermenting but not an option when using as a back sweetener. it will go directly in the bottles and settling to the bottom won't do me any good :)

well I took an SG reading and tasted it today. Man is it sour!!! but I expected that getting past the sour I can still detect a strong note of lemon and orange so I think with a little back sweetening it will be good to go. SG was .997 so It is ready for me to do something with it I am going to back sweeten with OJ concentrate, bottle carb and then pasteurize. Should be fantastic when it is done.

Oh hell yes! I'm so glad this worked out :)

My next misadventure is gonna be hard limeade, I think. At least you're doing the historically correct thing and preserving your surplus food by letting it ferment!

I have a sink strainer that I use for keeping fruit bits out of my meads when racking (and tea leaves out of my sink when I wash out my french press - Yeah, I'm a chronic do it yourselfer.) On the other end of the spectrum, coffee filters dont cost a ton and how much do you really worry about aerating a backsweetening solution?

Or did you finally find pulp free oj? ;)

I did finally find some pulp free OJ. I imagine when this has had time to age it will be like a mimosa only way better because the OJ won't be watered down and the "sparkling wine" will have the time to blend with the OJ.

Back