Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GySgtLynn

Reaction score
Just want some advice. I made an AG 5 gallon batch of oatmeal stout yesterday. I am leaving for 6 months so I wanted to experiment with something. I made my 5 gallon batch with enough grain for a 10 gallon batch. My OG was crazy 1.109. I made a huge starter about a half gallon. It is fermenting like crazy right now. But here is my question since it will sit for 6 months should I move it to a secondary? I normally would but the day I leave it would have only been fermenting for 7 days? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. On a side note I also made a Marzen that will be lagering for 6 months.

should be fine to leave it. revvy left one in the primary for 5.5 months without any issues

Sweet I read an extensive thread a couple months ago regarding the issue. I just did not remember anyone leaving it in the primary that long. But I trust anything Revvy says. Thanks for the info.

1.109?? I wouldn't leave that on the yeast for 6 months, but if it's an experiment it should be interesting....

I think Revvy said he left a beer on primary for 5 1/2 months and it was fine, but I don't know if he recommends that as standard practice. But you're saying the only other option is 7 days in primary? That's too short.

BTW, a half gallon starter isn't really huge.

BTW, a half gallon starter isn't really huge
^
That's what I was thinking. Especially for 1.109. I'd say that's underpitching.

Agreed, I think you underpitched that batch I'd probably have made a 1 gallon starter for something that large, even better I'd have pitched on to a fresh yeast cake. I also wouldn't advocate leaving that large of a beer on the yeast for 6moz, you're more likely to autolyze the yeast in that instance since they will die off more quickly in that high alcohol environment. I'd find someone to rack that beer for you in a few months.

Semper Fi!

7 days is most likely not long enough but it sounds like you're very limited as far as options go. I'd say check gravity on last possible day you have to rack how's the progress? If it's close I say rack it and store for the 6 months, if not then you've already accepted the fact that it'll be an experiment and just let it be, come back in 6 mos and hopefully you have an amazing beer!

Is finding someone you trust to beer-sit and rack to secondary when appropriate an option? That would be your best bet. Otherwise, I would choose the 6 months over the 7 days.

I recently left a beer in the primary for 7 months ( got lazy and wanted to keg it). So when I finally got my kegerator going I decided "what the hell lets keg it". At first it was bunk!!! I wanted to toss it, but after some carb it is tolerable and even good. So I say screw convention and experiment away!!!

Heres the update. Got back yesterday, tasted a sample from the primary, good flavor but the alcohol was very warm. Tatsed like I dropped a shot of vodka in my glass. Now I have a decsion to make... Do I bottle it and let it sit for a year or do I make a normal batch and cut them together? BTW the Marzen that I was also lagering was the clearest most crisp beer I have made... It's carbing in the keg right now.

I'd get it off the yeast. That much alcohol is going to kill the yeast quickly. I'm not a autolysis fear-monger, but this is a case for it.

There will still be plenty of yeast in suspension, busy cleaning up intermediate alcohols, but not enough to make your beer taste like hamburger when you return. Good luck whatever you do. If you leave it in the primary, it'd be nice to hear how it turns out in 6 months.

Actually passedpawn.. if you look at the post above I have already returned. Now looking for advice on my next step. Anything you could suggest would be greatly appreciated.

I'd get it off the yeast at this point and either bulk age or bottle age it.

Actually passedpawn.. if you look at the post above I have already returned. Now looking for advice on my next step. Anything you could suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Hah! Woops. Welcome back gunny!

I've made beers where the alcohol bite made it undrinkable (for me; I gave them to a friend who sucked them down). If you haven't bottled, you might consider either watering it down (I'm sure that will draw some ire) or hopping the crap out of it and inventing a new style. The hops would (IMO) cover some of the alcohol.

Thanks for the advice... as of now I have moved the beer into another carboy while I try to decide what to do.

I have decided that I am going to let this sit in a secondary until at least Feb. If it starts to mellow I will continue to age it until it's good. If by Feb there is little to no improvement I will explore other options. Thanks for all the advice.

I have decided that I am going to let this sit in a secondary until at least Feb. If it starts to mellow I will continue to age it until it's good. If by Feb there is little to no improvement I will explore other options. Thanks for all the advice.

Yup that's what I was thinking

Back