Experiment on Lees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viking4

Reaction score
The other day I purchased a bottle of Le Fin Du Monde, a Tripel style beer bottled on lees, which I enjoyed immensely . It just so happened I had brewed a Biere de garde and my wife had a hard cider going at the same time. The beer I brewed was innoculated with White Labs belgian golden ale. We bottled the cider today.

My OG was 1.092 and was cruising along nicely until I hit a wall at 1.034. I wanted this beer to dry out and after some research, I found to add some table sugar, and that would do the trick. So, I decided to just rack the beer on the leftover cider and lees. I have no idea how it will turn out, but a second krausen is forming.

Thoughts?

Adding sugar can help to dry a beer out, but you might just be fermenting the added sugar and not the original non-fermented stuff.

1.034 is a high FG and only 63% apparent attentuation. The low attenuation, especially for a Belgian strain, indicates low fermentability of the wort and/or fermentation issues like insufficient oxygenation, pitch rate, poor yeast health, and/or temp control. Did you pitch your yeast from a starter? What was your recipe and overall process?

Racking the beer onto the remaining cider yeast and dregs from the Unibroue could help. I guess you'll see what happens.

Back