Experience with WLP575 Belgian Blend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phasedweasel

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had tried White Labs 575, a Belgian blend. I made a dubbel with it in early December that I just tried tonight. I pitched it a little cooler than the suggested temperature, but let it warm up to 68. Not bad, but I feel like the aroma and taste is a bit tilted toward a green apple taste (acetaldehyde?), moreso than most Belgian style beers other than maybe Unibroue's Ephemere.

I used it a couple times this summer, I pitched it at 64 and then just let it go. probably got up to 78ºF. It developed some good phenol spice and ester profiles, but it did have a little solvent fussal alcohols flavors . Though I have been using 530 lately starting at 64 and raising it 1ºf a day then holding it 72. and have been getting a good profile.

I just made a Belgian IPA with this yeast, and man it is a monster. My OG was 1.080 and after 5 days it was down to 1.010! I started at 66 degrees the first two days, up to 70 for one day, 72 for 2 days and then 76 to finish out. This blend is great and it is way under appreciated. I'd highly recommend!

Back