expected boil time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostspring

Reaction score
I had a Brinkman turkey frier given to me. I adapted the grill to let my kettle(heavy aluminum) set flat on it. I did not change the the height of the grill. Can anyone give me an idea as to how long to bring 5 gals of water to a boil.
Thanks for any help

There is no way to give you a time frame for boil since so many factors come into play. There's your burner output, outside temperature, wind condition if the lid is on during pre-boil etc. I would defiantly fill her up and time how long it takes for reference, remember you need more then 5 gallons of water for a 1 hour rolling boil as some will evaporate. I usually use 6 gallons of water.

I use a turkey burner, one with the cast iron burner. It's about 50,000 BTU and will boil 6 gallons in 45 minutes or so.

I have a burner that was originally part of a turkey frying kit. I have no idea how many btu's etc but it flames up like a damn rocket about to take off and brings my 5 gallons to a boil PDQ. When I moved from inside brewing to outside brewing I saved at b---load of time.

Dennis

I must have a faulty one or a very small one. 1 1/2hr later and the best I can get is 180deg.with 6 gals of water. The flame is no bigger then the one on the cook stove. I thought about trying to insulate my kettle but I don't think there is enough heat there. I can't imangine getting cooking oil up to 350 degs with this burner.

Sounds like something is wrong. No turkey fryin' burner is going to be that weak.

Stupid question but, is the gas bottle full?

Is there perhaps a problem with the gas line or something messing up the flow?

Dennis

I must have a faulty one or a very small one. 1 1/2hr later and the best I can get is 180deg.with 6 gals of water. The flame is no bigger then the one on the cook stove. I thought about trying to insulate my kettle but I don't think there is enough heat there. I can't imangine getting cooking oil up to 350 degs with this burner.

Sounds like there might be a problem with the regulator.

Well I called the turkey fryer a lost cause. The last time I was in Rockford I stumbled across a brew store that I didn't know was there. Called him , he had a KAB4 for $69 so I went and picked it up. I really want this first brew to go right. so now it looks like Sunday morning is brew day.
Thanks for help guys

OK I fired up the new burner for a test run this morning. Air temp was 23deg. Got 6gal of water to a full rolling boil in 32min. it would have been a little faster but I didn't catch the propane tank frosting up. Put it in a washtub with a couple gallons of hot water and off we went.
I see there is another post about the height of the "grill" on this model burner. Mine is like the other poster, 4" to the top.
Finally brew day is tommorrow, a Midwest kit-Big Ben Pale Ale

I use a turkey burner, one with the cast iron burner. It's about 50,000 BTU and will boil 6 gallons in 45 minutes or so.

OTOH , yesterday I filled my 30QT turkey pot with ~6.6 gallons wort from my mashing+sparging processes. That alone brought the wort up to ~155F, so once I turned the gas on for the main pot, it only took about 15 minutes to reach first boil with an ambient outdoor temperature of about 45F.

Back