Excited for my new sanke HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splangy

Reaction score
Long story not so short...., I finally got around to converting a 1/2 barrel sanke to a HLT for my burgeoning brewery.
I went to harbor freight and picked up cheap angle grinder that was on sale for 9.95 to cut the top off. I tried to create one of the various jigs I have seen on HBT but alas could not figure it out and just free handed it. Luckily the guard of the grinder fit up against the rim of the keg and made it easy. And my god, how much fun was that? Sparks flying left n right :ban: I kinda want to find something else to cut apart now muhahaha
I then used a step bit (also from harbor freight) to make 2 holes for the drain and a sight glass.
At this point I wasn't sure if I wanted weldless fittings that I can put together myself, or try and find someone who can weld. While my keg sat neglected in the garage I happened to stumble across this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/welding-questions-148798/
and I saw this weld:
P1010111.jpg

and quickly sent a PM.
Turns out, Craig (GreenMonti) is somewhat local to me and agreed to do some welding for me. I dropped the keg of yesterday and should have it by this weekend. He brought a sample weld with him (the one pictured above) and it looked even better in person.
I know I know, this is kind of a worthless thread without pics of my keggle but I am just excited with anticipation. I will update it with pictures of it as soon as I pick it up.
HBT is such a great resource, without this website, its great members, and support...I don't think my keggle ever would have gotten off the ground.
:rockin: Thanks again Craig...
Now, I just gotta find some time to brew.....

Splangy,

Nice to see you did a thread. I took some progress pics for you so you know I am working on the project. I hope noone is using 56K, LOL.

The keg as I recieved it from Matt.
P1010114.jpg

The holes he drilled.
P1010113.jpg

A shot of the couplers, One of them preped and the other as you would buy it.
P1010115.jpg

A shot of the hole that is preped, waiting for the coupler to be pulled through the side.
P1010116.jpg

More,

One of the couplers that has been pulled.
P1010117.jpg

This is the inside of the coupler.
P1010118.jpg

A shot of the lid made from the cutout piece. The handle is a dip tube.
P1010119.jpg

A close up of the washers (tabs)
P1010120.jpg

Splangy,

I forgot to mention to you yesterday that I put the couplers up flush on the inside. I hope that is ok with you. I will be doing the welding tomorrow night. Hope you like it so far.:D

Wow, You lucky SOB, I too PM'd him as soon as I saw the picture. I was not as lucky as you.

I tried looking at shipping costs but got a varity of quotes. The post office was the cheapest at like 50 bucks. If the welding situation is that bad in OH I would be happy to do the work, if your alright with the extra cost and time.

Off topic I know, Sorry Splangy.:mug:

Giggity:D......looks amazing. I can't wait to pick it up and see it in person.

In regards to how he pulls the coupler through...I am curious too. Some sort of jig or puller perhaps?

Man. That a very impressive weld. I've seen all sorts, many by professionals, but that thing is clean!

You've gotta tell us about that puller..

So - GreenMonti - where ya at? "Somewhat local" to bellview can mean so many things...

You've gotta tell us about that puller..

So - GreenMonti - where ya at? "Somewhat local" to bellview can mean so many things...

I think he is down in Puyallup. I met him in the middle at Larrys Brew Supply in Kent which is by far the best LHBS around this area.

I would also like to see the tool used to pull the coupler through the slightly smaller cut hole. The only thing I can think of using would be perhaps a sleeve puller for a steering column like this one?

eg12351.jpg

Ok Splangy, they are welded up for you. I hope you like them.

A shot of them both.
P1010121.jpg

The left coupler.
P1010122.jpg

The right coupler.
P1010123.jpg

Looks great!
shoot me a PM or text on how much I owe you and when I can pick them up.

thanks again, your work looks outstanding.

To everyone asking about my puller,

Now, with what I do.....how can I just give up a small piece of what sets me apart? There is only one other guy that does them like that, that I know of. He is also a local guy and that is Larrys shop. I do put a little more love into my work then him. That is the only thing I have that separates us.

Please don't hate me or throw stones at me for being the guy that shows stuff to all and then says, "you can't have it. Na, na." That's not what I am doing.

My 2 cents: Your market is geographically limited due to transportation costs. Your target market is those unable to weld whom are within your geographic region. They are unable to weld and wont be affected negatively by knowing how you pull the couplers. They will, however, be affected positively by you contributing to the homebrew community by sharing how you do something.

Take that for what it is and do consider that many of us have pretty good googlefoo and someone else out there has undoubtedly shared how to do this in a similar application.

My 2 cents: Your market is geographically limited due to transportation costs. Your target market is those unable to weld whom are within your geographic region. They are unable to weld and wont be affected negatively by knowing how you pull the couplers. They will, however, be affected positively by you contributing to the homebrew community by sharing how you do something.

Take that for what it is and do consider that many of us have pretty good googlefoo and someone else out there has undoubtedly shared how to do this in a similar application.

Please post the link if you have found one. I haven't found one out there myself. If it is what I do or is close enough, I will be happy to post pics of my method. Fair enough. Again I am not trying to be a jerk here. I love to help out and be helped out by others. I think these boards are great tools for anyone of any hobbie or job. No one knows the recipies to our favorite beers. They're secrete's.

i applaud your manipulation of the torch. you give us apprentice ss weldors the courage to hone the skill.

Thank you for the kind words. When is comes to round objects that must be welded, and you can't turn them on a positioner for a non stop weld. It helps big time to be able to start and stop in the middle of a weld and have it not be or very slightly noticable. If I am thinking right, you stated you can TIG on flat plate but no so good on pipe and the such. I think you can. As you know it is all about being comfortable. The hickups in the welds I just posted come from me not being steady. I was only using my pinky finger to guide me on the keg while standing up. If you can use blocking and what not to get your palm steady and be solid, then you can really focus on the puddle.

Good luck. Maybe PM me and send me links to pics of some of your welds.

i realy could care less if you showed me how you pulled through the fittings. i cant weld. but im shure i could figure out how to make a jig that could do that, just need a little time on a lathe. you have some damn nice welds. if i lived in the northern section of this state i would deffinantly give you some buisness to weld for me. keep up the amazing work!

No one knows the recipies to our favorite beers. They're secrete's.

Actually homebrewer's share their favorite recipes all the time... check out the recipe database as an example. Also, refer to Jamil Z. He has won countless contests with his recipes, and he has put them out to the public.

As far as commercial beers... true no one gives you an exact recipe, but I have never met a craftbrewer (and some german brewers too) that has not been willing to help a homebrewer compose a recipe to try and duplicate a "pro" recipe.

Again, you definitely have a very unique method of doing your welds and it is your prerogative to share or not share; we are just used to spreading the homebrew love (and as mentioned earlier, by sharing you won't be losing business from us)!

But again, great work, and amazing how many skills are of benefit when you are a brewer!

Prost! :mug:

never thought i'd say this about a weld, but man that is sexy

Thank you.:mug:

Piston Pin Puller

No.

i realy could care less if you showed me how you pulled through the fittings. i cant weld. but im shure i could figure out how to make a jig that could do that, just need a little time on a lathe. you have some damn nice welds. if i lived in the northern section of this state i would deffinantly give you some buisness to weld for me. keep up the amazing work!

Oh sure, I am not saying that no one else will ever be able to do this. It is not rocket science. I didn't want to show this tool before, but now that all this hype has been put on it. When it is revieled all will say...that is nothing special. Truth is it isn't anything special. However, It is different.

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. Prost.:mug:

Actually homebrewer's share their favorite recipes all the time... check out the recipe database as an example. Also, refer to Jamil Z. He has won countless contests with his recipes, and he has put them out to the public.

As far as commercial beers... true no one gives you an exact recipe, but I have never met a craftbrewer (and some german brewers too) that has not been willing to help a homebrewer compose a recipe to try and duplicate a "pro" recipe.

Again, you definitely have a very unique method of doing your welds and it is your prerogative to share or not share; we are just used to spreading the homebrew love (and as mentioned earlier, by sharing you won't be losing business from us)!

But again, great work, and amazing how many skills are of benefit when you are a brewer!

Prost! :mug:

I should have been a bit more clear. I was in reference to the comercial brews. I'll share any of my recipies anyday. Do I have any good ones, dboutfull. LOL.

I will be losing business to other weldors. Look close at how things sit when it is pulled. All that is needed is a simple fusion weld. No need for filler like I do. Heck, the way it sits there is no need for a purge either. If the fusion is done right that is. I haven't always been this good of a welder. Everyone has to start somewhere. It has only been in the last couple of years I have added wire to the weld. That's right, I have had this tool for about 4-5 years now. So you see, it isn't that I am afarid of loseing buisness from people knowing how I do it, it is the woodbie weldors out there who can't weld thier way out of a paper bag. Why should they look good when they have no real skill?

Not trying to sound cocky, but it is true. Many claim to be weldors, but they can't weld.

Splangy,

Thank you for your buisness. It is appreciated greatly. Thank you for the tasty home bew as well.

:tank:

There are a couple methods I can think of how you do this but something resembling a pipe flaring tool along with a simple welded jig seems the best bet.

I mean really - how many would be welders do you think are within your market that are also on this forum?

I'm a pushy sonnofabitch... don't mind me.

A block of steel, with a concave side that roughly matches the radius of the keg's outer surface. A pocket milled into that curved side to allow the coupling to protrude out. A properly sized hole through the block that comes out in the middle of the pocket. A long bolt and a big wrench.

This might not be exactly how yours works but it would definitely work if that's how it was built.

There are a couple methods I can think of how you do this but something resembling a pipe flaring tool along with a simple welded jig seems the best bet.

I mean really - how many would be welders do you think are within your market that are also on this forum?

I'm a pushy sonnofabitch... don't mind me.

A block of steel, with a concave side that roughly matches the radius of the keg's outer surface. A pocket milled into that curved side to allow the coupling to protrude out. A properly sized hole through the block that comes out in the middle of the pocket. A long bolt and a big wrench.

This might not be exactly how yours works but it would definitely work if that's how it was built.

LMAO, I can't believe how much attention this is getting. Sorry, I have had several.:tank:

Just send me your kegs and there will be no worries.:D

Here, this is in ED's thread. This is how I back purge the couplers. I built this too.
P1010124.jpg

GreenMonti... Thanks for all the input/advice/help you have provided. I immediately looked into shipping my kegs to have you do the welding. At this point, I'm still working to find a local option.

I think you are a true craftsman... Nothing wrong with doing what you can to set your work apart.

If you happen to be sitting on the cure for cancer, please share. If you have some tools or techniques that help you to have nearly every brewer converting a keg want you do do theirs... congratulations. ;)

Ed

Being a wireman I was thinking a GreeLee hydraulic knock out punch with the female die modified with a slight radius added to match the exterior of the keg. The die can take this small amount of material removed without getting a thin edge before the relief farther inside the die.
Making sure the male die starting points are vertical it should punch clean not distorting the kegs radius or use a "Slug Cutter". these punches will make a clean hole, use or machine a larger thick walled tube with the same radius then pull a case hardened tapered slug thru making the raised dimple. I bet there's a sample keg in the shop that looks like the "Untouchables shootout with Ness" as his practice keg until modifications to this tool was perfected.

Plan "B" would be a scaled up sheetmetal dimpler made special to match the thicker gauge material with the exterior backing part of the tool having the same keg radius for uniform support and dimple. I'm thinking aircraft aluminum dimpling here as an 'ex licensed A & P mechanic for the airlines.

Take a look at Pat's or Lehr's brew stand with his dimpled stainless top plates he added.
Click! Light bulb just come on in ye ol gearbox ya think?

So true and hats off to GreenMonti a person with talent I know he must make his own tools, hell he thinks and builds in his sleep I bet.

At the 7-9 pain scale of 10 with back injuries and surgery there is no way in hell can I tig like I used to with my 1992 Miller 350 Synchrowave that's fully loaded pulser included. Nice machine but when in pain without any comfort zone welds became crap for me and I know it. This plus being away from it for over 6 years unless a quick tig job was done I became rather rusty with tig, my keg fittings worked but I wasn't proud of my welds. My take or two cents here.

Back