Excessive Sediment/Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
I brew Gluten free due to Celiac disease so on this batch I used 6 lbs. of white Sorghum syrup and 1 lb. of Clover Honey along with 2 different Hops. 1 hour boil and fermented for 19 days at app. 69 degrees in a Carboy. I did hit the FG of 1.013 as indicated in the recipie. OG was 1.059, I used 11 g of Nottingham Ale Yeast. Hops were pellet style which were added in Mesh bags. Issue I am having is what I would call excess Trub. When the fermentation was done I had a solid 3 inches of Trubb at the bottom of the Carboy. 3 inches = app. 1 gl. of wort. This prevented me from auto syphoning the last 3 inches of wort as it would have put too much Trubb/sediment into bottling bucket. Is that smount of sediment/Trubb excessive ? Is there anything I can do to reduce it ? ie. adding more yeast etc.

As always, thanks for your opinion !

Steve

When you transferred from the kettle to the fermenter, did you dump everything in? That might account for that amount of trub there. That would be a lot of proteins coming out of solution into the beer, plus hop debris - stuff still gets through the bags. PLus yeast and other fermentation based trub - precipitated yeast and such.
Otherwise, I can't think of anything else that would ad up to that much.

Hello,

All the hops were placed into muslin/mesh bags before being placed in the kettle during the boil. When the wort was poured from the kettle into the carboy it was done so via a large funnel with a mesh screen. The bags were not poured into the Carboy. Is there anything else I can do to reduce the sediment/trub ? Curious if more yeast would help clean things up better, less trub etc. ? Thanks

Back