Excessive perceived bitterness after galaxy dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkMarine

Reaction score
I've got a NEIPA in my FV right now that was mild and sweet before I added the dry hop charge, and now it tastes like I'm chewing on a hop pellet. It's just excessively bitter tasting, basically undrinkable and bad. How can I clear this out? I'm guessing it's very small floating hop particles suspended in the beer, and I've had it cold (37 degF) for the last 7 days trying to drop these particles out, and now I've dropped it down to 30 degF in hopes that would help, but it's still super bitter tasting.

Here is my recipe:
12 gallon, 65% BH Efficiency
NE Juicy IPA

26lbs Finest Maris Otter
7lbs 7oz Flaked Oats

1.9oz 60m Colombus 14%AA
14.75oz 5m 180 degF Whirlpool Citra 12%AA
14.75oz 5d Dry Hop Galaxy 15.5%AA

WLP007

I was hoping "wait longer" isn't the answer because I want the fresh hop flavor and aroma, can I use gelatin? Will that drop out all the haze? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm using the galaxy hops from Northern Brewer, and this is the second beer this has happened to using these hops. The last one went down the drain, but now I've realized it's these galaxy hops and not something I messed up in the boil or whirlpool.

I've got a NEIPA in my FV right now that was mild and sweet before I added the dry hop charge, and now it tastes like I'm chewing on a hop pellet. It's just excessively bitter tasting, basically undrinkable and bad. How can I clear this out? I'm guessing it's very small floating hop particles suspended in the beer, and I've had it cold (37 degF) for the last 7 days trying to drop these particles out, and now I've dropped it down to 30 degF in hopes that would help, but it's still super bitter tasting.

Here is my recipe:
12 gallon, 65% BH Efficiency
NE Juicy IPA

26lbs Finest Maris Otter
7lbs 7oz Flaked Oats

1.9oz 60m Colombus 14%AA
14.75oz 5m 180 degF Whirlpool Citra 12%AA
14.75oz 5d Dry Hop Galaxy 15.5%AA

WLP007

I was hoping "wait longer" isn't the answer because I want the fresh hop flavor and aroma, can I use gelatin? Will that drop out all the haze? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm using the galaxy hops from Northern Brewer, and this is the second beer this has happened to using these hops. The last one went down the drain, but now I've realized it's these galaxy hops and not something I messed up in the boil or whirlpool.
I had the exact same experience using galaxy for the first time and sorry to tell you, waiting is the answer. Just give it time, in 7-10 it will be golden. In my experience galaxy hops break up a lot and leave tons of particulate in suspension. This will cause a sharp, spicy/peppery bitterness. Once they drop out the beer will be fine.

Last edited:
I had the exact same experience using galaxy for the first time and sorry to tell you, waiting is the answer. Just give it time, in 7-10 it will be golden. In my experience galaxy hops break up a lot and leave tons of particulate in suspension. This will cause a sharp, spicy/peppery bitterness. Once they drop out the beer will be fine.
ok great, thanks for the advice. I'll leave it in for another week or so and keep checking it after that.

I hope it mellows out for you. I have brewed quite a few NE IPAs with success. Most were a combo of several hops. I few months ago I took my shot at the Trillium Vicinity Clone here on HBT. I ended up doing a 3:3:1 Galaxy:Nelson Sauvin:Columbus whirlpool and dry hop. The beer has been barely drinkable from day 1 and it is now 3-4 months old(I never keep a beer around that long). It has an astringency to it that is not enjoyable. I was told it was due to the high acid level that is found in several of the New Zealand hops. Strangely enough the beer is still hazy to this day. It was a 5 gallon batch and I used 7 oz in the dry hop at 3 days into fermentation.

The short answer is you are tasting polyphenols and humulinones from the dry hops. Aussie and some NZ varieties impart more of these compounds into beer than other varieties and generally once they are there, you won't get rid of them easily. Ways to mitigate this is to dry hop for shorter periods of time (3-5 days) and to limit the amount added during active fermentation or extended dry hopping where you can overextract.

Galaxy and Vic Secret are notorious for this character, and IMO, the reason why so few US brewers can coax the wonderful soft, passion fruit flavors out of the hop - most of the time beers with Galaxy end up tasting "green" and overly resiny/bitter.

Time helps, but if it the beer is undrinkable, you can use PVPP and gelatin to remove some of the polyphenol.

Ah yes, I stand corrected. I was told it was the polyphenols of the Galaxy Hops. And I dry hopped with with 3 oz of galaxy along with 3 oz of Nelson and 1 oz of Columbus at 3 days into fermentation. And I left it there for about 7 days. I would need to double check my notes for the exact time. So it sounds like I may have done all the wrong things. In the future I will limit my usage and contact.

Back