Dry Hop After Fermentation/in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyC14

Reaction score
So I just kegged on Monday and started the carb process for a NEIPA. I tried my first hand at biotransformation hopping with 1.5 each of Citra, Galaxy and Motueka at 24 hours for 3 days. My typical process has been at day 7-8 or within close reach of FG soft crash to 60 and then dry hop for 3-4 days. I’ve had great results with this and typically get the typical NEIPA juice. But this time I’m tasting more of my grain bill than I am the hop characteristics.

Can I
1A) keep carbing at temp and pressure and drop some more dry hops in a dry hop tube
2A) stop carbing leave temp at 38-40 and dry hop
B) stop carbing raise to 60 and dry hop in keg with the dry hop tube
c) let it condition and taste carbonated after a 7-10 days and then dry hop or will that mess with the carbonation level

Now that carbonation has started, when you add the hops, either in a tube or commando, they will creat thousands or millions of nucleation points and it will quickly create a beer foam "volcano". So open the keg, drop it in quickly and try to close the keg as fast as possible. If you have a helper, it might be best.

But to answer the question you posed, my choice is Option 1A)

You could turn the gas off, and de-gas the keg for a day or 2. Relieving pressure as many times as you can. Every few hours or so

Once you pull the ring on the keg an you get little to no hiss from gas escaping, you can open the lid and add dry hops in a tube or a bag.

Seal the keg back up and start carbing again.

Back