Eww Nooo Infected Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmc

Reaction score
Thought ye may wanna see this. It's now in the sewer. 2 weeks into secondary. I think the infection could have come from the tap on the fermenter which I use to transfer to secondary. GRRRRRR.:mad: Smelt sour, like vinegar or acetic acid or something like that .
516136372_502982764f.jpg

whoa. At first I thought that was a view through a microscope! What type of beer?

If I understand correctly you were fermenting it in a bucket with a spigot like a bottling bucket? If so than yes, that could be. I could see bacteria being trapped in the crevice were the spigot and the bucket wall meet. Or, depending on the condition of your bucket the bucket itself if it was pretty scratched.

Sorry for your loss. :(

Take note everyone! THIS is what an infection looks like!

So sorry for you, man! I don't think you have a choice about dumping this one.

If you're brave, take a small taste. You might have a few gallons of the best malt vinegar ever. Probably not.

Bummer dude. It would be worth it to toss the bucket and buy a new one. In the future, be sure to remove the spigot and give it a good soaking in Oxiclean or PBW before a good rinse then a soak in Star San or iodophor before reassembling.

That's what I do before I begin to sanitize the bucket. I've never had one of those yet.. Ouch, but nice picture.

knights of Gambrinus said:
whoa. At first I thought that was a view through a microscope! What type of beer?

If I understand correctly you were fermenting it in a bucket with a spigot like a bottling bucket? If so than yes, that could be. I could see bacteria being trapped in the crevice were the spigot and the bucket wall meet. Or, depending on the condition of your bucket the bucket itself if it was pretty scratched.

Sorry for your loss. :(
It was an ale, was brewing it for a 'comparison ale' with a few other brewers here in ireland - same OG and IBU target, chose your own hops, yeast etc.

I brew in one of these
cat710.jpg
with a tap like this
cat842.jpg
attached (the wand comes off).

knights of Gambrinus said:
whoa. At first I thought that was a view through a microscope!

Exactly what I thought.

That is kind of scary, glad you got rid of it, it might have bit you!

That is some scary shXt. I hope I never see something like that in my primary.

kenmc said:
Thought ye may wanna see this. It's now in the sewer.
AAAaaaaggggghhh!!!!!!!! That looks horrifying. I'd put it in my truck, drive a few counties away and dump it in THEIR sewer. You're lucky it didn't crawl out of the fermenter, ooze up the stairs and smother you in your sleep.

Sorry for your loss. The best way to deal with the grief is to get another batch brewing, straight away! :mug:

Sorry about the loss, but thanks for sharing.

That picture should be a sticky in the beginners forum so they don't ask if their first 5 batches are infected. ;)

oh I sooo agree. Sticky that pic at the top of the beginner's forum. Not just in a thread, but BAM! there it is when u click on the beginner's forum.

Ya that sure does look like mold. And as a newbie a feel better that my first 2 out of 5 newbie batches are not infected. Should start a thread on the beginners forum of pictures of infection, or suspected infections.

That is a good picture of a lactic infection. After a couple of those, you will begin to recognise it from smell. It's unmistakable.

I tried to save an infected honey wheat by heating it to 170 for 1/2 an hour and adding additional malt and raspberries, was hoping for a lambic.

For anyone else who wishes to try and save an infected batch, one piece of advice.

Don't do it.

Just thinking about the result still makes me gag.

Back