Everyday obsoleted terms...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Tune in" - When was the last time you actually tuned a radio or TV?

"Don't touch that dial" - Like TV's have HAD dials for the last 15 years...

"record player"

Dial tone is still in use a fair amount, though. While we no longer have a home telephone (four cell phones) I use one at work and, if there is a phone line problem, still report no dial tone.

As far as I'm concerned "irregardless" is not and has never been a word, irregardless of the fact it doesn't report as misspelled when I type it here.

Rick

rickylr said:
"record player"

Dial tone is still in use a fair amount, though. While we no longer have a home telephone (four cell phones) I use one at work and, if there is a phone line problem, still report no dial tone.

As far as I'm concerned "irregardless" is not and has never been a word, irregardless of the fact it doesn't report as misspelled when I type it here.

Rick

We still use the term "dial tone" but we don't dial any more. It's an obsolete term

You looking for terms that are no longer used (when was the last time someone actually said "carraige return"?), or terms that are still used whose underlying technology is now obsolete ("dial" tone)?

How about carburetor? Or condenser? Or ignition coil?

Or for that matter, road map? Everybody's got frickin Garmin these days..................

Good question...that seems somewhat blurry isn't it?

Many terms do get obsoleted by disappearing hardware, in offices, telecom central offices, etc

As an aside, it is amazing how old the legacy telecom stuff is, but that's changing fast...

Bernie Brewer said:

I still have three carburetors in my household: one on the mower, and two on the VFR.

That reminds me, I need to go sit on the VFR and make vroom-vroom noises...!

beergears said:
I still have three carburetors in my household: one on the mower, and two on the VFR.

That reminds me, I need to go sit on the VFR and make vroom-vroom noises...!

Oh, duh. I forgot about small engines. I just had the carb cleaned out on my ice drill last year.:cross:

We still use the term "dial tone" but we don't dial any more. It's an obsolete term
You are correct; I was focusing on the "tone" part. Of course, I guess "dial" has just taken on a different meaning.

Kind of like "rolling" down the window of a car. Some six or seven years ago or so now, my daughter was around fifteen/sixteen and got in the car with my brother. He asked her to roll down the window and she couldn't find the switch. It had a hand crank and she had never seen one.

I suppose the window still has wheels or gears inside that roll, which is why I didn't mention it in my first post.

Rick

malkore said:
technically that's a perfectly valid word that is just more emphatic than 'regardless'.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless

(B.A. in English...mostly because I used to do a lot of 'creative writing' so word choices/vocabulary was always one of my areas of interest)

Did you read the definitions you linked to?

"non-standard" .... it insinuates it is in the vernacular, but not a proper word... like "ain't" (which is technically, also a word).

typically the word is used in a context to mean the opposite of what it means.

Regardless - without regard... irregardless - not without regard.

re irregardless:
technically that's a perfectly valid word
I know they are adding it to dictionaries, but normally include that it is considered incorrect usage, an American dialectical form.

Similar to "alot," which is used a lot in writing and I expect will be added to dictionaries at some point soon as incorrect usage. In my mind, sticking it in a dictionary doesn't make it correct usage.

Of course, this is my opinion; the world doesn't have to go along with me. :)

Rick

I told my daughter she sounded like a broken record the other day. Then I had to explain what that meant :rolleyes:

Chad

`black & white movies` - the kids at the elementary school my wife works all call them 'grey movies'..

Chad said:
I told my daughter she sounded like a broken record the other day. Then I had to explain what that meant :rolleyes:

Chad

I still call CDs "ALBUMS"
My kids are, like, WTF?

customer service?
Amen to that. Disappearing quickly.

Not sure of the phraseology, but the TV dial, 2-13, is gone. I mentioned in passing to my wife several years ago that the Beloit College Mindset List for that year included never seeing a TV without a remote control. My daughter spoke up and said "How'd you change the channel?"

Love to read the Mindset List every year.

Rick

It is fun indeed to tell kids about B & W tv...!

Anecdote: As a kid I knew an old,old guy who could remember the early bicycles, the ones with the huge front wheel. I think he said folks had to plan ahead for a stop, find a knee-high rock or something, to be able to dismount without a nose plant!

Chad said:
Ah, that reminds me . . . UHF, remember that?

Chad
or AM radio...or FM...does anyone listen to the radio anymore?

VHS, boob tube, postal code. watch (everyone has a cell phone now, who needs a watch?)

Beer is an old term :D it shall henceforth be referred to as Nectar of the Gods. Elixir of Life is also acceptable :cross:

Bernie Brewer said:

Or for that matter, road map? Everybody's got frickin Garmin these days..................
Bike has 4 carbs, 2 ignition coils. Car has 1 ignition coil and a condenser (A/C anyone?) In fact what car doesn't have ignition coils? Even if they do have 1 per cylinder?

Whitewall Tires
Laserdisc
Cassette Tape
stenographer

This thread is the Bee's Knees, daddy-o

air-raid drills, fallout shelters, party lines, chug-a-mugs (that they should bring back, but not with Reingold), Ballentine Beer (not Ale) who remembers the cardboard beer containers

I don't think walkman qualifies in quite the same way as carriage return.

Indeed the walkman concept is very much alive, they are just white now...!

You are right. I stopped using my Ipod or MP3 player. Went back to the Walkman. I loves me the nice cassette tape and analog tuning! Not an anachronism at all. Cant wait to buy a new 8 track player..

You press carriage return at every enter.. Same place and function ..

rickylr said:
You are correct; I was focusing on the "tone" part. Of course, I guess "dial" has just taken on a different meaning.

Kind of like "rolling" down the window of a car. Some six or seven years ago or so now, my daughter was around fifteen/sixteen and got in the car with my brother. He asked her to roll down the window and she couldn't find the switch. It had a hand crank and she had never seen one.

I suppose the window still has wheels or gears inside that roll, which is why I didn't mention it in my first post.

Rick

We do dial. It's just that the verb dial has evolved to refer to the act of entering a numer in a telephony device and has nothing to do with the noun 'dial'.

One thing you have to remember: English is a language that evolves over time. Words change meaning and spelling over time. (Never mind what the people in the UK like to believe)

Back