Ever infuse spirits yourself?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do huckleberry vodka every year or two, raspberry once or twice and being from Washington ............

So this is my first foray into the world of infusing. Sorry I am resurecting a old thread but I didnt want to start a new thread just for my questions.

So looking at the Malinowka Recipe posted by Stonecutter2. I was wondering if I could use frozen berries for the mix? Or do they have to be fresh? Also if I added vanilla beans to the mix would one or two be sufficent or should I add more than that to give it a nice vanilla blackberry flavor.

Also has anyone ever used brown sugar for the simple syurp step, and if it does work what is the flavor that would come across in the infusion?

And lastly the rectified spirits. would it have to be Everclear? Or could it be a different type (say Rum?). Or omitted altogether if we are useing straight Brandy.

Thankyou for the feed back.

I've not done the recipe, but you can almost certainly use frozen. Freezing fruit breaks down the cell walls and leads to better juice extraction, so it might even be preferable to using fresh.

I'll let someone else answer the more specific questions about your recipe.

Welcome to the forum :mug:

I'm making a traditional limoncello myself right now. Totally traditional. About 3 weeks now. I didn't even know there were alternate versions. EtchyLives's looks pretty interesting, though.

I did a cucumber lime vodka. I took the lime out after a couple of hours I didn't want to zest to make it too bitter.

It was pretty good. However! I should have peeled the cucumber. The peel made it more bitter than I would have guessed.

In regards to the hazelnut vodka. I'd recommend toasting the nuts first to bring out the flavor. If you can get 100proof, like Smirnoff, you'll get more extracted from the nuts and more of the oils will dissolve into the alcohol.

For an unrelated project I had a good bit of success with black walnuts in everclear. It tates and smells exactly like black walnut. I wasn't planning on direct consumption of the infusion(hence using everclear)

I'm making a traditional limoncello myself right now. Totally traditional. About 3 weeks now. I didn't even know there were alternate versions. EtchyLives's looks pretty interesting, though.

What is a traditional limoncello recipe? If it turns out good, inquiring minds would like the recipe.

I'd like to see more recipes from people who are happy with the way their recipes turned out! My favourite comes from the website of Club Wort in Palatine. The recipe is about 2/3 down the page. http://www.clubwort.net/resources.htm

Here's the recipe:

Phil's Krupnick Recipe

***3 pounds (4 cups) Honey
***2 teaspoons * Vanilla extract
***2 cups * Water
***1 teaspoons * ground cloves
***2 teaspoons * ground cinnamon
***1 teaspoons * ground nutmeg
***1 Large * lemon, sliced ¼" thick, then in half
***1½ cups * Grain Alcohol (190 proof, Everclear)
***1½ cups * Brandy
* * Cinnamon Sticks

Combine Water & Honey in sauce pan
Boil for 20 minutes (skim foam from top)

Add cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon, simmer for 20 minutes.

Add 3 cinnamon sticks
Remove from heat, allow to cool.

Add Vanilla

Add 1 cup grain alcohol
Add 1 cup brandy
Mix and place in 2 liter soda bottle (include all spices and lemon)
Add more grain alcohol & brandy to top the bottle off.

Let the mixture 'age' for 2 months, at room temperature.
Shake it to mix when you can.

Do not mix for the last 2 weeks to let the spices settle to bottom.

Decant mixture. Mix in additional brandy and grain alcohol and/or water to obtain desired 'kick', proof and thickness (Optionally, place back into bottle, and allow spices to settle again for 2 weeks)

(Also, the 'sludge' at the bottom of the original container can have some brandy added to it, mixed and then settled for one additional week. *Decant off the clear liquid and add to the originally decanted mixture.)

Taste and adjust mixture with additional brandy. Place in dispensing bottles and add 1 cinnamon stick.

Allow to 'age' an additional 2+ weeks before serving.

I mix and store in LARGE mason jars because I like the volume markings on the sides. I've had some for a couple years and it's still good. I also added quite a bit of brandy and vodka back to make it less sweet but lost track of the percent alcohol at the end. Letting it sit is hard work but it's well worth it. It's also a good use for any bottles of honey that have crystallized and are hard to use for anything.

It makes a great warmer after being out in the winter. Cheers!

What is a traditional limoncello recipe? If it turns out good, inquiring minds would like the recipe.

The zest of fresh lemons steeped in some kind of neutral grain alcohol/rectified spirit (or you can use regular vodka, but the more traditional limoncellos generally start with a pretty high percentage of alcohol - i.e. not 40%) for generally a month or so, then mixed with simple syrup. Regardless of the percentage of the alcohol you started with, the end product is somewhere between 25% and 35% alcohol, most commonly right around 30%.

Traditional limoncello is pretty simple to make. Different recipes generally just vary on how much zest (i.e. how many lemons) you put in, the alcohol percentage of the rectified spirit, how long you steep the lemons, and how much simple syrup you put in (and also how the simple syrup is made - how much is sugar and how much is water).

I have a friend who soaked poblano peppers in vodka for a month or so. The vodka picked up quite a bit of flavor. Awesome bloody Mary material.

Back