Ever have CFC Vapor Lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippyf16

Reaction score
My CFC acted clogged, sending me scrambling to get an ice bath going and doubling the amount of time needed too cool my wort. When I was cleaning up I noticed the CFC wasn't clogged at all...what happened?

Water turned on? Kink in the hose? You should check water flow before setting chiller into hot wort maybe heat + leftover water created steam pressure had to say, I always run water through chiller before it enters kettle.

I had this same thing happen my last brew day. I thought my dumass burnt up my pump. So I blew on the hose to cfc and it went through. On clean up my pump and my cfc worked as advertised so I also don't know what the hell was going on

I noticed mine will act plugged if I don't fill it with sanitizer and basically start a siphon when i'm ready to drain the kettle. It has something to do with the fact that my pickup tube runs uphill to my weldless fitting.

I pump (push into) my CFC so it's never been an issue. I have some 'ups and downs' in my design so i can imagine vapor lock potentially being an issue if it was gravity fed.

If you pump (push or pull) through the cfc how do you make sure the wort doesnt flow too fast to cool?

By putting a valve on the output side of the pump to slow down the flow from the pump and adjust the water going through the cfc

So like a fountain pump on the cold side of cfc just before the carboy?

i don't throttle for cooling, the cfc is 50ft (1/2" coil) with two separate cooling sections so i can pump at max flow. Cost about $60 or so in parts, and lots of labor of course : )

Back